VR6 AFP Cracked Head Repair

Are all cracks repairable on a Jetta year 2000 VR6 AFP head? I do not have the head removed yet, but am getting coolant into the oil and exhaust in the radiator. The middle spark plug on the side towards the fire wall does have a little coolant on it. What is the best welding rod type for this head. Are there any special issues when doing a valve job on this head?

Reply to
westwindwood2003

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@t8g2000prg.googlegroups.com...

Are you sure it's cracked? Maybe it's just a blown head gasket....

SFC

Reply to
SFC

When you get your tig unit fired up, wait if you have to ask you are not qualified. Harsh comment but repairing aluminum is not something amateur welders do successfully, very often. I take my aluminum things to a guy who has been welding for over 30 years. He was trained in England which apparently has a bit more rigorous training program than is often seen in the US. In any event he also makes NDT samples hiding defects. Kind of a cool task.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Haven't came across one that cracked yet, but yes, what you describe sounds like a blown head gasket.

Reply to
Madesio

My stepson says the engine overheated some so I thought it is likely to be a crack, but I sure would like it to be a head gasket. I will know this weekend. By the way, I checked with NAPA today and they do not carry a gasket set for doing a head. Where is the best place for buying that?

Reply to
westwindwood2003

I buy almost all my parts from

or
Well some other vendors but those two are a good start.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Check the above posted urls if you can't find a kit locally. Purchasing one online may even be a cheaper option. Not sure where you live, but you may want to try some more parts stores. As for the head, the machine shop should be able to locate any flaws that your eye cannot see, but from my experience, chances are pretty good that you have no cracks. Let them determine that. Be sure you have a repair manual handy because lining up the cams and chains can be a little tricky if you've never done it before.

Reply to
Madesio

The head was not cracked, but warped 14 thousandths. Will need complete valve job with new guides. I see that VW recommends replacement of head bolts for remove and replacement of a head. These bolts do not appear to be the type that are made to permanently stretch. I was wondering if a thread cleanup would be sufficient for reuse.

Reply to
westwindwood2003

Spend another $40 or so and buy new bolts. You could take a chance on reusing those bolts but then if they don't hold then look at buying another head gasket, coolant, oil etc. Oh and your labor!!

AND why did it warp anyway?

Don't forget about maybe a new thermostat housing and any other plastic thing that also might be warped. Are you changing the timing chains and etc. too?

Don't you love it when the list grows and grows? On a 1997 VR6 I did, I had to do the head messed up by the timing chains along with cleaning out the oil pump strainer. YES I used new head bolts and yes it was a lot of work. Do it right the first time and hopefully you won't have to do it again! ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

And how did you made this determination?

Sure, if you don't mind them failing...

Your choice, really: do it right, or do it again.

Reply to
PeterD