VW Golf oil light comes on then car dies out

Hi, I have a VW Golf 1999. My problem is that whenever I am driving sometimes the oil light will come on for a few seconds then the engine will cut out. It then takes about 5 mins for the car to start again. There is plenty of oil in the car. Recently it was taking longer and longer for the car to start again. Someone told me that there is an oil sensor which may be faulty so the car then thinks there is no oil and keeps cutting out. Is this true and how much does it cost to fix approx?

Thanks

Cush

Reply to
Cush

And you have not taken it instantly to a mechanic to check oil pressure? YIKES.

What happens if you disconnect the sender with the engine running?

Do an oil-pressure test. Depending on what it tells you, replace the sensor or look out for other problems. You may also have a sticky oil pressure relief valve that drops pressure in the engine by hanging up. You could also have a wonky oil-level sensor.

But GET IT SEEN TO...

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

which engine?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

The engine is a 1.9 SDI.

I know I should go and get it checked out but I thought someone here would tell me wat the problem is so that the garage man does not rip me off.

Thank

"dave AKA vwdoc1" wrote

Reply to
Cush

Lemme see....

Potentially New Engine Potentially Ripped Off Potentially New Engine Potentially Ripped Off

Tough decision. We have pointed to some pretty obvious stuff having to do with the oil pressure sensor, something which you can check at least for instantaneous function. If disconnecting the sensor sends the engine into "0-pressure" shut-down, then you need to check either the wiring or the sensor itself as what you have seems to be intermittent. But when it comes to oil pressure, the "oops" has much more sting to it than many other malfunctions. So, don't stop investigating until you are sure you have found the problem *and* cured it. And until that point, don't drive the car more than 4 seconds from engine shut-down, check your oil _EVERY_ morning and so forth.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw