VW Jetta A/C overhaul

Hi,

I need to get the A/C working in a VW Jetta 94. It uses the "Enviro Safe" chemical in the A/C and I have recharged it a few years ago. Last time I charged it, it leaked out in a few minutes. I have heard of having this fixed.

My question is can I overhaul the A/C myself and is this a difficult job, and how do I do it. Most manuals say to leave this to a certified A/C person.

Reply to
Curtis

It is real simple. Find the leak. Fix the leak. Hook up a good vacuum pump for a few hours. A good pump will boil out the moisture. Charge the system using the proper volume of chemical confirming with proper pressure guages. If you have to ask some might suggest you cannot do it. You should have a good ac vacuum pump and proper guages for your "freon". Knowlege to use those tools is also helpful. I don't know if the Bentley covers AC. Sometimes a Chilton will cover the basics. I think I had to copy some info from a Chiltons when I wanted to fix my

80 Rabbit. My Toyota manual and the older M>Hi,
Reply to
Jim Behning