Want Your Expert Opinions -- Coolant Mix-Up

This afternoon, my mother called to tell me she had seen the "low windshield washer" light come on in her '99 Jetta, and proudly told me that she had refilled it herself, but that after she had done so, the light was still on. I guessed immediately what she had done -- she put windshield washer into the coolant tank.

She had driven the car about 8 miles after doing so. I went over and emptied the tank using the suction gun, and refilled it with G12, but as I drew the old out, it was engine-hot, so obviously, it had circulated fully through the engine and the windshield washer must be throughout the cooling system.

She showed me the jug she had used, and there was a little less than a pint gone from it.

So...

Am I correct in assuming that it is now thoroughly mixed throughout the engine? Or, would the majority of it have stayed in the coolant tank and been removed when I suctioned it?

Assuming it's thoroughly mixed, will a pint of windshield washer -- standard, blue, water-alcohol mix -- do harm? Bottom line -- must I replace her coolant?

Reply to
Brian Running

It is thoroughly mixed by now.

The windshield washer fluid contains a fair amount of one alcohol or another (the rest being mostly water). Mixing this in with the coolant will lower the boiling point of the coolant, which is not a good thing. This alone would be enough to warrant a coolant drain, flush and refill.

Others may be able to shed light on what washer fluid will do to corrosion inhibitors etc. in the coolant.

Reply to
Randolph

When was the last time she changed the coolant in that 99 Jetta? It might just be a good time to change it anyway.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That was my thought, too. Told her that it wouldn't do any harm in the short term, but that we'd change the coolant out before too long. Then, I saw in the Bentley that VW recommends never changing the coolant, it's intended to be in there for the life of the car.

Reply to
Brian Running

What does that mean...I saw in the Bentley ? Cecil New Passat TDI Owner

Reply to
Detailing Dude

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

i really think you should let go of the apron strings and tell you mother to go to the local machanic and get it cheacked on a regular basis or hand her drivers lisence back. hope this helps

Reply to
Ethen H