what front seats will work in my rabbit?

Hi all- Alright I know someone here must know what front seats will work to replace the damaged ones in my 83 rabbit. Are there any specific models and years i should be checking the junk yards for??? Or suggestions for which ones are nice. Keep in mind I am in wisconsin where older cars tend to get crushed so are there newer models in which the seats are still compatable that might be easier for me to find. Also any tips for getting the old ones out of the car?

Thanks- chris

Reply to
Chris

There is an allen bolt with an acorn cap nut on it at the front of the seat that needs to be removed to uninstall the seat.

No idae what seat will easily fit as the track on my A4 is much different from the A1. I did look at new seats for my A1 at a performance car parts place. One that deals with road racing types of cars.

Jim Behning

Do you come to Chicago much? I have some red seats out of a '83 Rabbit GTI if you are interested! :-) Sometimes I go up to some of the VW shows in WI and may even make the Dells this year!

So the Rabbits and Cabriolet seats up to maybe 1992/1993 might work. Of course you can have your current seats reupholstered too! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1
93 Cab is a new body, not sure about the 92
Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

thanks L-I-S What I find very strange is that I have not found any 1993 VWs to work on here. ;-( I work on 1992s, 1994s and most all other years but for reasons, unknown to me, I have not put my hands on a 1993 VW. It is like they do not exist in my world! 8^o

1992 is definitely the old Rabbit Conv. style body. I work on at least 2 of those.
Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hi Dave, I am sorry to say that i actually have never been to chicago, strange though it may seem, maybe someday. I am actually much farther north and much closer to Minneapolis. As for the seats I thought about reupholstering, however all of the plastic bits that go on the ends are missing from both making it hard to put them forward and the padding is practically falling out of both of them, severely ripped and worn. Also they are red (like yours) and although that looked nice when the car was burgundy I am in the process of prepping it for paint- so say goodbye to red and hello to a candy colored teal. I am hoping to find something in black that I do not have to fix. I think the best thing to do would be to have them replaced with ones that are in a bit better shape and not red. Thanks for the year and models you mentioned I am sure they will be very helpful in my search.

- I also just want to say that I have the seats out of the car. A bit of rust in the track made it much more difficult and was making me think there was something besides the one bold holding it in place. But after a couple of hard hits with a hammer -presto- empty car.

Thanks- chris

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for the tip Jim, and also for the link. I will definately chack it out.

-chris

Reply to
Chris

If you can't find any good black seats then definitely consider reupholstering them. All you need is the good metal in the original seats. ;-) You still may need those plastic pieces to cause your "new" seats to slide forward and back. ;-)

Take pictures of your restorati>> Do you come to Chicago much?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1