What Say Woodchuck?

I'm interested in getting the opinions of dealer techs/professional mechanics on the differences that I'm finding in the design of oil seals among OEM and aftermarket sources. Specifically, the camshaft oil seal for my 1987 VW GTI 8V. An aftermarket source sold me the camshaft seal for about $5.00. It measures 47 mm OD x 32 mm ID x 10 mm and features a spring-loaded seal lip with an embossed cross-hatch pattern where the seal contacts the shaft. The entire seal was molded from a compliant black material on a metallic backbone.

On a recent visit to my local VW dealer, I looked at the camshaft seal they were selling for my car (P/N 038 103 085E). It measured 48 mm OD x 35 mm ID x 10 mm and features a more rigid, non spring-loaded sealing lip. The sealing lip also appeared to have been molded from a different compound than the rest of the seal (brownish in color), and appeared to have been particulate reinforced and/or infused with dry film lube. The pattern on the sealing lip was a series of circumferential grooves instead of a cross-hatch pattern. Price was about $8.00.

These differences seem fairly significant considering that the two parts are specified for the exact same application. The seal sold by the dealer seems to be a much more highly engineered design that perhaps solved some seal longevity issues. And since the price is only slightly more, why risk the aftermarket part?

My question to the dealer techs/professional mechanics is this: have you guys noticed these differences in seal design? If so, have you noticed any significant differences in seal performance between the seal designs?

Sorry about turning a relatively straight-forward oil seal replacement task into a science project (not the first time for me), but this inquiring mind would like to know.

Thanks,

Reply to
Kent
  1. What brand was the aftermarket and also a part #

I have compared 2 aftermarket seals to VW seals and found them to be EXCELLENT.

They were Timken and FelPro.

Have installed both brand cam seals on a variety of VW's with no problems.

Paul '89 Jetta

Reply to
Simplstupd

Printed on the face of the aftermarket seal is "DPH", "Germany", "32", "47", "10", and "2". I just pulled the old seals out of my car today, and they look just like the aftermarket seals. Since I'm the original owner of the car and its only mechanic, I know that these seals were factory installed.

Reply to
Kent

All I can say I have seen newer seals which no longer have the spring in them. Are they better than the old design... only time will tell. I can tell you our newer VW's have less oil leaks caused by seals then the older cars. I would think the dimensions should be the same on the old & new style seals... so do a double check.

Reply to
Woodchuck

That's what caught my attention, the newer seals are 3 mm larger in ID (35 mm vs. 32 mm), and 1 mm larger in OD (48 mm vs. 47 mm). I've even had everyone double check their part numbers, and I'm going to have them triple check before I install the new seal.

My theory is that since the sealing lip of the new seal is noticeably more rigid than the old seal and doesn't have a spring to expand for the sealing force, the uninstalled ID doesn't need to be as large. I don't have a theory for why the OD is 1 mm larger other than to allow the seal to fit more tightly in the bore.

I think it's interesting to note the subtle engineering improvements that are made to these detail parts as the years go by. Or maybe I just have too much spare time on my hands...

Reply to
Kent