Where is the jacking point on a Golf?

I have a 2000 Golf, and had my first occasion to use my jack today. Got a roofing nail in the tire.

I couldn't find anything that looked promising for a jack placement. The manual said it was 8.6" up from the rear wheel well. I put the jack there and it seemed to work okay, but there didn't seem to be anything special about 8.6" over 7.6" or 9.6". Is there a marking that I missed?

(I found the nail and pulled it out before taking the tire off. Sometimes they hold air, but not today. The disconcerting thing is that the nail fell to the garage floor and I couldn't find it despite looking for it for half an hour. Geez, how far could it have gone? Can't wait to "find" it again...)

Reply to
toller

assuming the top of the jack is kinda -u- shaped, there's usually a bit of the lip on the sill that's slightly thicker and sticks down a little bit. that's where the jack goes.

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I've seen it referred to as "the Widowmaker" jack once or twice - POS design IMO.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

For sure... I was just rotating tires on the car and I could just see it shakeing and flexing... Had the spare tire under the car just in case... Definately investing in a proper jack for next time... I wish my Volvo's jack worked on the VW, but it doesn't.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Not sure about late model VWs but my '91 GTI and my '00 Eurovan have the same-design jack (the EV's jack is the same as my GTI's but just larger) and it's crap. Yeah it takes up a small amount of space when stowed but when using it ont he car I'm always amazed at how tipsy it looks.

Reply to
Matt B.

I believe that is the point. It LOOKS tipsy. Used correctly it always seems to work well.

Of course it is good to remember it is not intended as a work jack, it is intended to emergency repair of flats. While I have used it occasionally for work when my floor jack, ramps and jack stands were not enough for some reason, I very seldom have used it.

I suspect it is sturdy enough for the usual owner's needs. Looks can be deceiving. I would rather trust it than some super cheap jack from Harbor Freight.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

My 91 and 99.5 and 2003 all have the same crappy jack.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

It works, but it's still kinda creaky...definitely less stable than other OEM jacks that I've used.

Reply to
Matt B.

"Joseph Meehan" emitted :

I'll state up front that my technical competence with cars is pretty much nill, but I figured if I follow the instructions in the manual I should be safe with the VW supplied jack. Yet an unexpected gust of wind behind the car caused the jack sprang out at high velocity taking out part of the fence. Glad I wasn't standing in the way!

S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

----------------------------------- Attack Decay Sustain Release....

Reply to
Signal