Where would you buy NEW seatbelts for older A1 cars?

Who can resist this classic appetizer; or light lunch served with a fresh salad? Versatility is probably this recipe?s greatest virtue, as one can use the best part of a prime, rare, yearling, or the morticians occasional horror: a small miracle stopped short by a drunk driver, or the innocent victim of a drive-by shooting...

2 cups finely chopped very young human flesh 1 cup shredded cabbage 1 cup bean sprouts 5 sprigs green onion, finely chopped 5 cloves minced garlic 4-6 ounces bamboo shoots Sherry chicken broth oil for deep frying (1 gallon) Salt pepper soy & teriyaki minced ginger, etc. 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in a little cold water 1 egg beaten

Make the stuffing: Marinate the flesh in a mixture of soy and teriyaki sauces then stir fry in hot oil for till brown - about 1 minute, remove. Stir-fry the vegetables. Put the meat back into the wok and adjust the seasoning. De-glaze with sherry, cooking off the alcohol. Add broth (optional) cook a few more minutes. Add the cornstarch, cook a few minutes till thick, then place th

on the skewers. Don?t be afraid to use a variety of meats. Grill to medium rare, serve with garlic cous-cous and sautéed asparagus. Coffee and sherbet for desert then walnuts, cheese, and port. Cigars for the gentlemen (and ladies if they so desire)!

Crock-Pot Crack Baby

When the quivering, hopelessly addicted crack baby succumbs to death, get him immediately butchered and into the crock-pot, so that any remaining toxins will not be fatal. But don?t cook it too long, because like Blowfish, there is a perfect medium between the poisonous and the stimulating. Though it may not have the same effect on your guests, a whole chicken cooked in this fashion is also mighty tasty.

1 newborn - cocaine addicted, freshly expired, cleaned and butchered Carrots onions leeks celery bell pepper potatoes Salt pepper garlic, etc 4 cups water

Cut the meat into natural pieces and brown very well in olive oil, remove, then brown half of the onions, the bell pepper, and celery. When brown, mix everything into the crock-pot, and in 6 to 8 hours you have turned a hopeless tragedy into a heartwarming meal!

George?s Bloody Mary

Don?t shy away from this one, it is simply a cocktail variation of good old Blood Stew. When a pig is killed, its throat is slit and those present quaff a cup of hot blood to soften the wintry air. From the dawn of man to this day, humans have always drunk blood! American deer hunters are a prime example.

1 pint blood Stolichnaya vodka ice tomato juice lemon lime hot sauce Worcestershire sauce pickled green bean celery green olives celery salt

Draw a pint of blood from a very young virgin, female if possible, and chill. In a tall glass pour 1 or 2 ounces of vodka, then add 6 ounces each of blood and V8 or tomato juice. Add ice and other ingre

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Rabbit/Golf/Jetta type Is, the Pickup Truck, Convertibles, Sciroccos- they are still on the road.

Would be nice to update the safety equipment along with the refresh other stuff gets like the brakes and such.

TBerk

Well, you could always get 4 or 5 point racing harnesses ...

But if you do happen to find something, I would like to know about it. Right now I've got just the shoulder strap from the corner of the door to the inside edge of the seat. Its a 1982 Rabbit Diesel, and for whatever reason, it doesn't have a lap belt. Not sure if the previous owner removed it or VW just figured the diesel wouldn't get it going fast enough to need a lap belt ...

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Those are the optional passive belts and they didn't always have a lap belt. Not sure why. Late 80s A2s that had these were this way and then the last two years (well, my '91 has them) has the same door belts but do also have lap belts. The lack of a lap belt makes little sense to me but I'm pretty sure they were this way on some cars.

Reply to
Matt B.

When I got my first two Rabbits they had that passive restraint system. It consisted of two parts. The seat belt you mention, which ran from the floor between the seats to the door above your shoulder. When you opened the door, the seat belt moved (mostly) out of your way and you could just step in or out of the car. The other part was a knee bar. This was a stiffly padded bar (with integrated junk tray) which ran the full width of the car at knee height. You were supposed to adjust your seat so that your knees were about an inch away from the knee bar. In an accident, you would move forward, with the chest belt keeping you from bashing your head or your chest from hitting the windshield and so forth, and the knee bar keeping you from sliding out from under the chest belt. Having been in accidents in both of those rabbits, a head on in one (30MPH for me, 40MPH for the Mustang), and an angle on in the other (40MPH for me, the other object a telephone pole), I can state that they actually worked as they were supposed to.

I was told some years later that one of the reasons VW had to give up on this system was that people were removing the knee bars, thus effectively disabling the system. I don't know if it's true, but I *do* know that when I went junk yarding in the years following that, I'd often find those Rabbits with their knee bars missing.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Interesting. I'd actually thought of removing the knee bar, I'm looking to remove pretty much everything thats not necessary. Too much stuff just rattling around for my taste. But I guess now I'll leave it in until I get some lap belts. Thanks for the info!

Reply to
Johann Koenig

I think I'd rather just have a lap belt anyway. Why make the cockpit cramped?

or even better...just regular 3-point belts.

Reply to
Matt B.

Ah, I'd thought it was already missing from yours.

You're welcome. I was actually kind of fond of that system. I'd adjusted my seat so that I could put my knees into the knee bar on purpose when I wanted to do radical moves and thus could have the comfort of almost no seat belt during most driving, but then could grab onto something in an instant when I wanted to. Worked awfully well when everything was adjusted just right.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

A lot of people apparently shared your feelings.

I rather liked the system. simple mechanical (no damn motors whirring the belt up and down the door jam) worked quite well, and you could get in and out as fast as you could open or close the door. The only draw back was that if you tried to whip the door open right after a move radical enough to fool the system into locking up the belt, it would catch on the belt. I suppose there would have also been the risk of them

If you're willing to go that far, then this system was definately not for you. For that matter, at this point, I'm pretty well adjusted to the normal seat belts in my Scirocco and the other cars I drive so I don't know that it would appeal to me as much as it did then. When I first encountered that system, I was coming to it from cars where putting on a seat belt was a bit of work. The car I could afford before that had seat belts, but no retractors, and the lap belts and sholder belts were two separate things... and we rarely used them.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Yeah, but I can't really adjust the seat, its frozen in place. Its about right for me, so I've never had an incentive to fix it. But its kind of rough without the lap belt, because I have the slippery vinyl seats. If they were cloth, I don't think I would mind as much. Been looking for a set of Recaro's to put in, but I'm a little short on money at the moment. Also having a hard time finding a decent junk yard, but I just heard about one that might be really good.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

I do agree that compared to Corrados and B3 Passats with passive belts that were motorized, the non-motorized ones I like better (simpler, as you noted).

Yes, and one of mine tends to jam on occasion anyway (even at "normal" door opening speeds). I usually have to close the door and reopen it.

What I hate about them is that the door stops that hold the door open were not designed for these and the light pressure put on the doors mean that they close on you too easily when facing uphill or even on a flat surface...I wish the door stops had more resistance on cars w/these belts.

And even though mine has the lap belts, it still has the knee bars. Wish it had the package trays instead.

Reply to
Matt B.

Even back then, I wondered what it was going to be like when they started to malfunction from wear or someone spilling a Coke in them or something. You've just answered the question. :)

On the cars I had, they were stiff enough, except on very steep hills. Again, I wonder if age or wear is a factor?

It wasn't quite "trays" as sort of indents in the kneed bars where you might keep pens and small objects. Hard starts would send them off, though. They weren't reall proper storage places.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

It was a system that I thought at the time would work well only if everything kept working. If any part failed due to age or whatever, it was going to be a pain. And the part you mention (the seats getting stuck) is one of the two things I worried about. The other was the retractors between the seats.

Right. Mine were fabric. And I think you're correct. It would have made a difference.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

Mine seemed pretty weak from day one.

No...not at all. The knee bars look nice, but they serve no function at all except for crash protection.

Reply to
Matt B.

I'd guess some were better than others.

When the became very important.

I used mine other than for crashes too. As I mentioned in another message, I had my seat adjusted such that I could intentionally get my knees into the knee bar when I wanted to make radical driving moves. Effectively, I could tighten my position in the seat and keep from sliding about by pushing my knees forward a bit.

These days, I find it easier to just put on the seat belts and take a moment to pull it tight after I'm seated. But habits are different. When I got that first Rabbit I'd come from a car (an '65 VW Beetle) where I never wore what seatbelts it had. They were too much of a pain to put on or take off.

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

GSF do replacement seatbelts. think they're around 25 quid

Reply to
Nathan Lucas