Whirring sound when I open my Golf's door

I have a 2004 Golf.
When I open the driver's-side front door, I can hear a faint whirring sound, apparently coming from behind the instrument
panel.
It only lasts for about two seconds -- not enough time for me to locate its source more precisely.
And it only happens if the car has been parked for quite a while -- e.g., first thing in the morning, or when I return to the car after work at the end of the day.
Does anyone else experience this same sound? Does anyone know what it is?
Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org http://www.richw.org
I can hear it in my fathers 2003 Golf CL, but my 1999.5 Golf GLS doesn't make the noise.
His car has only power steering and A/C and a radio as accessories.... so I ruled out a central locking system, alarm system, or any other power system... No electrical component to turn on the dome light would make a noise like that. (Relays click, charing capacitors for the dimmer make no noises at all, resistors and lights also - no noise).
He says it doesn't bother him (not knowing what it was) but he's brought it up a few times, and I've heard it when I drive his car... would be interesting to know what it is. - I think, he thinks it's a potential problem with something.
I have heard similar sounding noises from our 93' Volvo 960... but only when it's driving, and much quieter and higher pitched, it's the electronic climate control adjusting its valves and vents using vacuum acctuators - tho I have doubts that a Golf would have such a sophisticated ventilation system.
http://www.richw.org

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:57:18 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@richw.org (Rich Wales) wrote:

My 2003 GTI does produce the same sound.
http://www.richw.org

My 1999 Golf had this too. It is the fuel pump sending some fuel up the line towards the engine, so the engine can fire straigh away without waiting for fuel to come up from the tank. Only happens when opening drivers side door and only happens when the car has been parked for awhile. I thought the noise actually came from down near the tank, rather than from behind the dash.
If you try sneaking in the passenger's door and then start the car, perhaps you'll notice it doesn;t start as quickly? :)
MK
This would explain why my Golf (a diesel) does not make this noise... System should already be pressurized and the pump as far as I know is the one on the engine, no electric assist.
http://www.richw.org

I have never heard that one before -- I have always heard that the sound is from a vacuum pump that operates the door-lock system.
Golf CL's don't have central locking - and our 2003 Golf CL makes that noise.
A4's seem to use solenoids for their locks (judging purely by sound) - it's a fast clunk like most cars... I've heard the A2 Jetta's lock pump working, it's WAY different then the A4 central lock system's sound. A2's take a while to lock/unlock the doors, the A4's are almost instant.

that was the case for many 90s VWs (particularly the A3s) but the A4s don't make that noise.