04 Colorado clutch problem.

Hey all. I've got a question about a problem that I noticed last night with my new truck.

I was out and about, and I noticed that the friction point of my clutch changed, and to get it to idle I had to push the clutch all the way to the floor. It was catching all the way in.

So, today, I get in it and drive it about a quarter mile, and now pushing it to the floor won't even do it. It is hesitant to even go into gear.

Now, here's my question: Does this sound like a simple loosening of the linkage/cable? If so, is it a simple tightening of a nut/bolt? I'd like to get it fixed tonight or tomorrow, as it is inconvienient to wait until Monday to get it into the local dealership for warranty maintenence.

Thanks in advance! Adam D. Vanover Knoxville, TN

Reply to
bearhunterad

These trucks wont have a linkage/cable system. Clutches have been hydraulic on most cars and light trucks for years now. You probably have some sort of leak in the clutch hydraulic system. I'd suggest that you check the fluid level in the clutch master cylinder. You would probably find that sort of info in your "owners manual"/. You did read it from cover to cover when you purchased your vehicle didn't you?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Umm. k. So, I put some fluid in the resiorvior (and also topped off the brake fluid tank,) and pumped the clutch a little. It seems to have helped a little bit. But, even my optimistic self can't make myself believe that it would solve it.

Riddle me this: There is a "bubble" on the bottom of the filler cap. Should it be firm (I.E. Like a "bubble paper" bubble,) or should it "give" a little? The bubble-type thing is not air tight, and it seems to be totally, umm,.. flacid.

I was sorta thinking that it might be a cost-cutting measure to "3rd generation" engineer a pressurizing system for it.

Ever seen anything like this?

Thanks Adam D.

Reply to
Adam Vanover

Did I say that would solve it? What I'm attempting to do is diagnose the problem. The fact that "it seems to have helped a little bit" tell's me "a lot". All I was attempting to do was to determine if you have a fluid leak in your clutch hydraulic system. I suspect you do, now do your part and get into a dealership and let the professional's do their work.

All hydraulic brake or clutch systems that I've seen have some sort of rubber bellows that allows for the fact that as the brake pads wear down, the fluid goes down, or as the clutch disc wears, the fluid goes "up".

Because you don't understand the system or how it works, does not necessarily mean that it's a "cost cutting" system.

I've seen a fair bit in my 25 years of doing this type of work.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ian =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Adam=A0Vanover) replied:

Umm. k. So, I put some fluid in the resiorvior (and also topped off the brake fluid tank,) and pumped the clutch a little. It seems to have helped a little bit. But, even my optimistic self can't make myself believe that it would solve it.

Riddle me this: There is a "bubble" on the bottom of the filler cap. Should it be firm (I.E. Like a "bubble paper" bubble,) or should it "give" a little?

The bubble-type thing is not air tight, and it seems to be totally, umm,.. flacid. I was sorta thinking that it might be a cost-cutting measure to "3rd generation" engineer a pressurizing system for it. Ever seen anything like this?

Thanks Adam D. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Holly bazooka Batman!!!!! There's a bubble in there!!!

Dear Mr. Adam D West, Riddle "ME" this..???? if you fill a jar with water and put a lid on it.....will the lid affect the water at the BOTTOM of the jar as long as the jar is held uprite???

~:~ MarshMonster ~always remember and never forget...liquid does not compress...air does~

and one more thing..........

ain't yer truck covered under a warranty????

OO L O

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Ian.. I didn't mean any offense by my last post. I guess my sense of humor gets mistaken sometimes. reading back over it, I can see where one would think that I was trying to be a butthole. Sorry.

Thanks for your help. Adam D.

Reply to
Adam Vanover

Yeah. It's still under warranty. The thing is that it wouldn't even go into gear. I would have had to get the dealer to come down here and take it back with a tow truck or a roll back. Save a little hassle and a little time if I can just drive it down there instead.

Thanks for the sarcasm.

Adam D.

Reply to
Adam Vanover

Take the damn thing back to the dealer and use the warranty..!!!!!!

il.com> wrote:

Reply to
Queer Guy

If it's a '04, why don't you take it back to the dealership for warranty?

Reply to
Timbulb

So we all yell at HIM for not listening, but no one read that it's the weekend and the dealership wasn't open?

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

Thanks G.

Ahh. I couldn't expect any less off a news group. :)

Anyway, if anyone was wondering, I only asked so that I could try and fix it over the weekend, and not have to call a taxi for a ride to work.

I went and got some brake fluid and replaced that which had leaked, then pumped it a few times. Fixed it enough to get me the 20 miles to work yesterday morning.

Took it to a GM service center this morning. They ordered a master cylinder, and something else that I couldn't understand.

Anyway, thanks for the help. Even if it was sarcastic, it still helped somewhat.

Thanks again! Adam D.

Reply to
Adam Vanover