Clutch problem

Have got a problem with my '98 Fiat Scudo van - generally the clutch works fine, but every now again when pressed it make a 'snapping' sound and the clutch pedal goes to the floor and stays there. Hooking my foot underneath the padal and pulling it back up returns everything to normal again.

I've had a look at the pedal when normal and also when in the 'slipped' position, but cannot work out what is happening. The clutch is cable operated, and as I mentioned, most of the time it works fine.

Anyone come across this before or have any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike

If it's got a clutch cable, I'd guess there's also an automatic adjuster. This is the classic symptom of the adjuster slipping, and it won't be long before it fails completely.

The adjuster may be a seperate unit on the clutch pedal, or it may be built into the clutch cable (look for a large roundish cylinder somewhere along the lenght of the cable). Chances are, if it's built into the cable, then if you get an aftermarket cable, the new cable won't have one, but will instead have a good old reliable manual adjuster on the gearbox end.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill