1996 S10 Start Question

I have a 96 S10 4 cyl truck that will not engage the starter when the key is turned to the start position. Battery is good as the headlights are bright
and yet I do not hear the starter solenoid clicking. Several weeks ago I had the same problem and taking the shift lever out of park and back into park allowed it to start. Worked fine until today and back then I thought that I simply did not have it in park.
I suspect there is a shift column switch that has gone open and would like to know if I can bypass this circuit so as to start the vehicle to take it to the garage for repair. Perhaps something else has failed like maybe another relay under the hood.
Any help would be appreciated.
try and put it in nuetral and start it.
neutral does not work either when it is in the failure mode. However, it started tonight in both park and neutral but I do not trust the thing.
Looking at a schematic, I see that there is a park/neutral switch on the xmission, another relay under the hood and then finally the starter/solenoid.
I am simply looking for any ideas on most likely cause. for now i suspect the park/neutral switch as moving this two weeks ago fixed the condition.