2000 Silverado 5.3 governed?

Page 2 of 2
LOL! That's a good one! Elliott
Eugene wrote:

howdy again group.
for the dissenting opinion beg to differ. here is some of the aftermarket parts i have on both my '99 tahoe and NBS '99 silverado:
Hypertech Power Programmer Gibson exhaust (tahoe) Borla (silverado) high flow cats Reduced diameter underdrive pulley K&N Filtering system JBA Headers (both)
All of these were installed while the trucks were under warranty and neither truck was denied service because of the installation.
someone mentioned something about altering emissions and that's why "they" will void your warranty. well, none of the AM products listed above alter the emissions (other than increased flow). if there was an increase in carbon monoxide and/or hydrocarbons you'd have bigger issues than a voided warranty, you're vehicle wouldn't pass inspection. everyone of the above products is 50 state (that includes the idiots in CA) smog/emission legal. so...if they are federal/state legal then it would serve to satisfy the "adversely affects the emissions or the emissions system" claim. key word here is adversely. these alter air/exhaust movement but not adversely, they make it more efficient. one post went on to say, "A warranty claim can be denied only if the part is the cause of damage". what has been damaged? that's just silly.
someone else said something about a corvette that came in with a bunch of mods and had bent/burnt valves or bent rods or something. just my opinion but its a corvette so i assume he was racing it. he either missed a gear exiting a corner and over revved the engine, downshifted to aggressively, or any number of problems associated with racing. tell me how in the hell a different intake manifold or performance exhaust will allow one to over rev an engine? true, you can adjust the rev limiter with the hypertech programmer but not outside engine specs. i'm willing to bet, if this is in fact the cause, the guy that brought in the vette had a homemade program or manipulated the program of a tuner. hell, you can plug a laptop into the data port of your late model vehicle and, given you have the software, make the engine do whatever you want.
if you're really that worried about the dealer knowing you've installed a performance program in your vehicle simply dump it before you take it in for service. you can return the computer to stock in about 5 min and reinstall the program after service in about the same time. again, its not necessary. i took my trucks in at about 30K just to have it "onced-over" before the warranty ran out. i specifically asked if i should dump the program so as not to confuse their diagnostic machines. they said it wasn't necessary. they obviously saw all the other mods i had made yet I paid $0.00 for the service.
i've rambled long enough. i'm tired of myself at this point. haha.
later

"The Legend" wrote

Actually, I'm quite sure that this is exactly what the Corvette owner did. He may have "missed a shift", but with the stock rev limiter, I doubt that any damage would have been done. Who knows exactly what he did, but I'd say that it's quite telling that he chose "not" to fight the issue, or try to launch a lawsuit against GM. He knew what he did, we knew that the engine damage was not something that you would see with factory software...that was the end of it.
We just had a brand new Avalanche in yesterday. The owner has installed some sort of lift kit and he's got a supercharger on top of the 5.3 engine. It all looks quite professional. I don't know what his warranty is going to be like, but I can almost guarantee you that if that engine blows up in any way, shape, or form....he won't be getting warranty from GM.
Ian
Just 1 question! Why do you need to go over 100mph,in a truck?
1/4 Mile Junkies

To get to the other side, Faster!
nospam
beautiful!