4.8 or 5.3 in new Silverado?

Should I get the 4.8 or pay extra for the 5.3 on a new 04 Silverado Extended Cab LS? I will never tow anything. buying truck for smooth ride and utility. Gas mileage is VERY important.

Thanks

Reply to
el_mexican

El:

You really have to drive them both. Then decide. Gas mileage is not that much different on either engine. Also, the smaller engine may get worse gas mileage than the larger engine if you have to jump on it all the time to get the acceleration you want. Finally, you will get some of the money back that you spend on the larger engine at trade in time.

Reply to
sf/gf

I have a friend who has a 2000 Silverado ext. cab with the 4.8L. 230HP hauls A$$ & he gets 22MPG. That is HIS primary vehicle. They family also owns a 2004 suburban with a 5.3L & he is the one who drives it mainly (so they are both used under the same habits), and they both see mostly highway but a good portion of windy back-roads driving. I don't have any numbers on it, but watching the gauge over a trip I would feel that it got about 19-20MPG. Either of them are very respectable MPG readings, and the 5.3's may be even higher. As I said, it was just "best guess" watching the gas gauge over an escapade into Maine. Mechanically, I know nothing good or bad about these two engines.

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

Check used trucks at KBB.com. The 4.8L takes a fair hit.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Get the 5.3, much more power! Better resale.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Reply to
mat

There's 40 HP defense, that's significant.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Reply to
DaNewf

Just going off what he said.

15HP for a half a liter more is sad....

~KJ/TLGM

Reply to
KJ

what about the torque numbers?

When does the engine hit the peak power? do you have to wind out the 5.3 as high as the 4.8 for peak power?

If you are sitting in traffic, the 4.8 would be better, since it burns less gas while idling at stop lights. if you are cruising on highways a lot. then the 5.3 would be better since it has more power, and can maintain the same speed at a lower RPM, thus off setting the displacement difference and actually using less fuel at speed.

Reply to
Trey

Do you plan on reselling or keeping till the rust takes it to truck heaven. If your gonna take it to truck heaven then get the 4.8 you dont need the

Reply to
mat

my current truck is paid off. so I will be owning it for some time. I like not having payments! I will have this truck for another five years. it will be ten years old then

Reply to
Trey

Reply to
mike