4wd drive problems

My 95 blazer won't engage the front wheels/differential.

The actuator is good and so is the vacuum. But if I jack up the right front wheel, rotate the tire by hand and engage the actuator, (with a mity vac pump) the wheel doesn't stop spinning. There's a "skip" at one point as the cable retracts, but other than that, no engagement. I realize my problem must be within the differential...likely the gear that's moved into position by the actuator cable. Question is, how tough is this for a do-it-yourselfer to fix? Will I have to remove and dismantle the differential to fix it? Any tips or steps will be appreciated.

Gary

Reply to
Curmudgeon

Well, it's not fun...but it's do-able. You can remove the right extension housing (which houses all the shift mechanism) without removing the front diff. It's hard to have enough room to do this without removing the right axle shaft assembly (the shaft with the c/v joints). And the axle shaft won't come out unless you move the right steering knuckle out of the way, which means separating some ball joints. After all that, you should be able to easily remove the right extension housing and have a look inside. Note: the shift cable going into the extension housing is held in place by a funny looking spring...you have to remove the three bolts that hold just the shift cable up to the diff, pull the cable and it's housing away from the diff, and then unclip that spring . You should be able to figure it out, or get yourself a good manual.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai