88 chev fuel

I have a 1988 chev 350 1/2 ton and am having fuel touble.At times when I shut it off it wont restart, it seems to have no fuel coming. Then if it sitts a while it works.I have repalced pump and filter, does anyone know
how a fuel regulator works and symtoms when its not..Thanks

Will it only NOT start when you try to fire it up and the engine is already warm/hot?
Pop the air cleaner off and watch the injectors during this no-start condition. Are they spraying fuel?
Doc

its a throttle body but there is no fuel there when its cranked
I'm assuming you have TBI. One common failure is that one or both of the injectors leak. This results in 2 issues. 1. The fuel pressure bleeds off overnight, and B. Fuel pools in the bottom of the intake manifold, and sometimes trickles down into an intake runner. The symptoms of this (depending on the severity of the leak) are Hard starting due to flooding for short term restarts 1-3 hours, and Hard starting due to no fuel after long term (overnight) restarts. Mid-term restarts usually are OK. Remove the air cleaner, shut the motor off, and look down the throat of the throttle body, the injectors are in the center on top. If you see any drippage an injector is leaking. KenG