NP233 Hub Vacuum Problem

Hardly getting any vacuum to the cable actuator. I have a little bit of vacuum at the actuator, you can feel it with the hose removed and it pulls in the actuator a tiny bit. Switching to 4wd results in no noticeable change in vacuum.

Is the vacuum switch the thing on top of the transfer case with a 3 vacuum hose connector on it? It doesn't look easy to replace. How is this switch closed? I see no external electrical components so I suppose there is a mechanical activation w/in the x-fer case.

Any other possibilities? Hose leak? _________________________________________________________________ JG... Jeff Givens mailto: snipped-for-privacy@comcastXX.netXX

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

Reply to
Jeff Givens

Lots of possibilities.....and yes, the switch is operated mechanically from a shaft inside the t/case. One common problem on these was the switch would leak internally and allow oil to be pulled up into the vacuum lines and swell all the lines. You probably need to just go step by step and comfirm that you have good vacuum down to the switch...etc.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I pulled the hoses off the switch and they were all clean and no visible signs of oil. On the actuator end I was able to blow and suck on it and get air flow with moderate resistance (hoses connected to switch).

Where do the other two hoses go? I couldn't follow them very well. _________________________________________________________________ JG... Jeff Givens mailto: snipped-for-privacy@comcastXX.netXX

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

Reply to
Jeff Givens

One hose is to the vacuum source, one hose to the actuator, and I believe the other hose is a vent...to release vacuum to the actuator when you go back to 2wdrive.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Damn, I was hoping one was to heating control as I'm also having some airflow problems..... _________________________________________________________________ JG... Jeff Givens mailto: snipped-for-privacy@comcastXX.netXX

"My hovercraft is full of eels."

Reply to
Jeff Givens

Well, I think if you take a close look at the vacuum source, it does tee off to the inside heater controls. It's interesting, the oil in the lines problem that I mentioned will also completely trash the vacuum lines inside the vehicle. Makes a real mess of things when it does happen.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Switch was the problem, it was frozen in roughly mid-travel. No signs of oil anywhere.

Heater/AC airflow problems fixed with switch as well.