88 S-10 Blaer 4.3 cylinder head water plug?

Doe anyone here know where I can find a wrench that fits these type of water plugs?A 3/8" extention is too big and 1/4" too small. Thanks! Bobby

5/16 might be right, or Metric

I forgot to mention that these plugs are square female type.5/16" may be right size,but where can I get a square drive male wrench? Thanks! Bobby
On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 08:00:01 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (bobby swift) wrote:

You are going to have to find a 12 point socket (US or Metric) that is a very snug fit on it that you may even have to tap on a bit to get a good grip on it with a socket. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Thanks! for the info Snoman,I'll give that a try.I'm trying to install a mechanical water guage in the head. Appreciate It! Bobby
I need a square wrench to fit inside the plug,not a socket to fit over it.The square head of a thread chaser fits but I don't have a way to turn it. Bobby
On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:23:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (bobby swift) wrote:

Sorry, I misunderstood you. You could by a 1/2 to 3/8 drive adaptor and then grind it to a snug fit. If you have access to a grinder this is a very viable option. . ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
I tried that also Snoman,it has that small ball that holds the socket on the end,the hole where the ball retracts in is over half way through,and when ground down.....weakend it so much it broke with little resistance.Maybe I'll grind down the thread chaser,to get a wrench to turn it.The metal looks to be pretty hard so maybe that will work.I might also check with a machine shop that does engine work,and see what they use. Thanks! Bobby
On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 12:41:40 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (bobby swift) wrote:

Grind off the other three side instead (not ball side) and do not gring the ball side. Also it soound like plug was hot inserted at factory because it is really stuck. GEt you some good leather or cotton work gloves and attempt removal when it is hot. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com

They exist. Flag down your local Snap on truck. Tool supply business?
Haven't seen a Snap on truck here in a long while,I'll check around.Seems like I saw some square tip bit sockets some where. Thanks! Bobby

Are you saying that you use a large allen wrench to get the square hole plug out?If I get it out I'm gonna put a mechanical water guage back in its place,then I'll be running 2 water guages.I don't really trust the electrical one.I'm pretty sure Advance Auto has the allen head plugs,that would be what I would replace it with. Bobby
On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 22:37:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (bobby swift) wrote:

Tell you what a oversized alen wrench ground down to a 4 side wrench would likely work too. They are generally made from hard/strong metal. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
(bobby swift)

Sounds like a good idea Sno. That 6 sided allen wrench in that square hole isn't exactly a perfect fit but has worked for me. I did have a tough one round out once and had to use a extractor ruining the plug. Went out and took a 1/2 to 3/8 impact reducer, did a little grinding to two sides now I have a nice tool for the job.