89 chevy blazer

i was wondering if there is any three speed tranny i can put in my 1989 chevy s10 blazer it has a 4.3 l and the 700r4 tranny in it now what can i up in it with out changeing anything ??

thanks Bill

Reply to
W.Rowe

nothing

why change ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

cause i dont know if this tranny is going to last .. it has been messing up a lil nad i am hopeing it is just the detent cable !! i changed the screen and fluid .. but it has been shifting funny and slips a lil even with the deten tcable unhocked !! i was just wondering if there was any other options i could go with !! i dont really like the o/d tranny's !!! thanks bill

Reply to
W.Rowe

well, first off: your gas mileage will go straight down the dumper w/o OD

if you turn 2100 rpm at 70 mph now, you will turn 3000 w/o overdrive

why not get a quality rebuild done and drive with confidence ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

You tried running it without the detent cable hooked up? So tell me, did it start shifting funny and/or slipping before or after this little experiment?

Reply to
SBlackfoot

.. Re: 89 chevy blazer

After being informed that he couldn't change his 700r4 tranny over to a

3 speed without some other changes, and being asked why he wanted to go to a 3 speed unit...........

snipped-for-privacy@csonline.net (W.Rowe) replied with this..........

cause i dont know if this tranny is going to last .. =A0 it has been messing up a lil nad i am hopeing it is just the detent cable !! i changed the screen and fluid .. but it has been shifting funny and slips a lil even with the deten tcable unhocked !! =A0 i was just wondering if there was any other options i could go with !! =A0 i dont really like the o/d tranny's !!! thanks

bill ... Bill, Rebuild your 700r4 if you are using this truck for every day use. You will be rebuilding your 4.3 ltr engine if you don't. It isn't designed for the higher rpm's that it WILL be running at if you go to a 3 speed tranny. Leave the 3 speed change overs to the wanna be racer kids and get a solid rebuild on your OEM unit. The money you save in gas milieage alone should be enough to warrant staying with the unit you have.

1) High revs run engines hotter, wear bearings, create oil deposits. 2) 700r4 trannies last for years and years when rebuilt correctly, and serviced regularly. (even better than from the factory) 3) Gas ain't cheap ..... and engine rebuilds ain't either. 4) Throttle Valve cable adjustment on a 700r4 is a fairly precise measurement, and "almost" never needs adjusting. (if it needs adjusting....somethings broke) 5) quit diddleing around with your TV cable and get a good tranny guy to take a look at it. ( I would suggest Gary)

hopefully helpfull Scribb Abel

The smartest man I ever met............. Never said a word.

Reply to
Scrib Abel

before the cable was unhooked !! yeah i am real tired of it !! the reason i was wanting a difrent tranny is caus eeveryone tells me that the o/d tranny's are junk and not work getting rebuilt !! and you can not haul any thing with them even in drive!!! i am not worried about gas milage cause i always use drive rather then o/d cause i am afraid of killing the tranny !! thanks Bill

Reply to
W.Rowe

Well, Bill, let me tell you something about the 700R4......something other than the drivel, whining, pissing and moaning that you hear about it 'on the net':

the first 3 years, 82-84 were pretty poor

from 85 up, massive changes (12 between 84 and 85 model years, about 6 more later on) made it a very good unit IF IT IS PROPERLY UPGRADED, MAINTAINED AND KEPT COOL!!!!!!

maintaining it consists of fluid and filter changes :

12-15 under 'daily driver' use 10-12 k if you haul loads or tow frequently 8-10k if you haul a lot or tow a lot

keeping it cool means a TruCool 4590 or Hayden 1679 cooler right behind the grille, as far from the AC condenser as you can position it, with the in-radiator cooler bypassed

I've got dozens of 700R4 rebuilds out there, some as much as 6-8 years ago, still going strong.............anyone can throw a set of clutches and seals into one and call it 'rebuilt', but doing it to last is not simple, not quick, and not cheap

we get 1200 for a 2WD, 1350 for 4WD, with a 3yr / 60k warranty, and seldom have one come back to us

changing to a 3-speed (usually a TH-350 with an adapter block and longer tail shaft) will run about 6-700 for a quality rebuild, plus throttle cable, dipstick and tube, and plumbing in a vacuum modulator, it generally ends up costing close to 900-1000 by the time its done, and you now have a vehicle that's screaming at 70 mph, sucking gas like there's no tomorrow, and which you will learn to hate within a month

your choice, I just build 'em

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

to all that replyed to my message thanks for your time and help .. caus eif you are anything like me i have to children and a wife and time does not come around that easy ...:) so thanks for the detailed e-mail GARY i think i will put another detent cable on it and see what happens !!

thanks again Bill

Reply to
W.Rowe