Please help - Ignition switch broke

I just bought a '74 Chev pickup 4x4 from a rent a space security lot for $50 :). The owner of the lot doesn't have keys for the truck so I removed the ignition tumbler (the right way, I'm not a hack) to access the internals so I could turn it with some pliers. That was driving me nuts trying to grab that piece with the pliers so I decided to be *smart* and drive a socket onto the part I was grabbing with the pliers - it worked ok for a little while then stopped working - now it just turns in circles!!

My questions are - How would I go about wiring in an external ignition and starter switch or an all in one switch where one position would be off, then ignition on, and a momentary start position? How much amperage does the solenoid need at the starter - will I need to wire in a relay? Any way to do it from under the dash?

Thank you very much for any help.

-- Remove NOSPAM SPAMNO to reach me.

Reply to
Ben Lee

You could always spend the 9 bux to buy a new ignition lock cylinder, and 1) have the security of a real ignition switch 2) not have to fu#k with the wiring. :-)

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

You could buy universal ignition switch( $15.00), 2 reds are hot side, brown acc 1(radio), orange acc 2(wipers,defrost), pink ign(coil), purple(maybe yellow) starter. These are all ~10 gauge(thick) at steering column running upto the key, you could snag them under the dash. You could do the other way, toggle switch and push button for start but would have to be very high current switches (30 amp min) without using relays, better(cheaper) to use universal key switch. If your desperate to start you only have to power up pink(ign) and power up starter(purp) to crank over. Remember the thick red wires are hot all the time so you should have the battery off when handling those wires, if you short them you'll probably blow a fuseable link somewhere. There might also be a way to access the ign switch thats bolted to the steering column, I think a rod from the key switch activates the ign switch, not sure if you can grab that rod under there or not.....Rico

Reply to
Rico