95Chevy Astro Van Brakes

My 1995 Chevy Astro Van is:

4.3L engine Automatic Transmission 52,000 miles Fuel injection ABS Brakes Has Power steering, A/C and Curise control 1995 Chevy Astro Van, 52,000 Miles, (that?s right 10 years old and 52,000 miles). Has ABS Brakes, Original owner. Symptoms--- 1st time: Brakes felt spongy, and had a lot of movement but stopped fine, only happened once and did not happen again for months. I do not remember if the ABS came into use at all just before this or not. 2nd time: While running on a very bumpy area approaching a stop sign, I applied brakes and ABS kicked in. Stopped fine, no other symptoms. At the very next intersection when I applied the brakes they were spongy and traveled quite a bit before I felt I had brakes. It stopped fine, but I was very concerned that I wasn't going to stop in time. (Good thing that I have a habit of stopping with leaving at least a car length between me and the next car.) I had brakes but it scared me. The next time I needed to use the brakes, they felt normal. My husband checked them out and found everything seemed normal. Couldn't get them to do anything wrong. He checked: Brake Fluids- fine, Power steering fluid-fine, shoes and discs were fine, no leaks, lines seemed fine and the brakes worked fine. Then with in two weeks later number 3. 3rd time: Husband driving-Towing trailer, entering camp ground, big dip and ABS brakes kicked in again, brake went spongy again, peddle traveled as before, was able to stop OK very concerned though. Since this episode, the brakes have not returned to normal. First chance into the shop it went. Van is in the shop now, at a Chevy dealer (6 days now), they replaced the Master Cylinder. Did not help. They talked about contaminated fluid, or air in line. They said they bled the brakes. They were going to do it again. When I asked if they replaced the fluids they really didn't answer me. They said that the symptoms are intermittent, HE said that he can get it to act up. They are talking about replacing the Brake Pressure Module Valve (BPMV) next. Said it was a $1200 part. They are trying everything they could think of before doing that, they say. They said the Chevy rep was in the shop today, and they asked him about it being 10 years old with only 50,000 miles if they could help me out (I understood it as help with the cost), and he told them it's 10 years old.

They then told me that the head mechanic was going to take a look at it now. I can't find the BPMV part that they are talking about in my manual, or so far on the internet. Did I even need a new master cylinder at all. Both my husband and I are wondering if they are just trying on parts until they get it to work. Since the Master Cylinder didn't fix the problem, should I have to pay for it? I asked the service guy, when or if they plugged it into the computer did it give them any answers, He really didn't answer me there either. I drive this Auto 99% of the time, the Front Disc brakes were replaced once at 20,000 miles. A piece of fishing line had wrapped around an area and caused one wheel Disc to wear a lot, never noticed any pulling at all. (6 years ago). The rear shoes are original with, at least 50% wear left. I start and stop gently. (Yes I'm a grandma). Any ideas? Appreciate your input. Thanks, LB

Reply to
3BBBsss

My guess is the ABS Unit is bad. Looks like a big aluminum & black box under the hood by the master cylinder.

I sell these units used for $150. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig