performance mods for astro van 4.3L

My brother is going to tear down his high mileage 4.3L for a rebuild and we're looking for input on performance mods for it. It's an 89 Astro van with the the "Z" series 4.3 roller cam engine and TBI.

He's looking for a bit more towing grunt (some low rpm but mostly between 2000 and 4000 rpm) and doesn't want to give up any ground clearance, since we do a lot of near off road driving to get to favorite fishing spots while towing a small boat trailer.

Edelkbrock says their Performer TBI intake will not fit, and Sanderson says their headers are not for the vans either.

And is there any other choice for heads than the stockers with the "ramp" in them? UT doesn't do emissions testing in our area any more so it'll be duals, no cats and a different computer, if possible.

Replacing it with a V-8 is not an option, even if possible.

TIA

Budd

Reply to
mr-d150

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sure wish you hadn't included that last line --- I was just ready to say that the Astro will hold a 350 real easy. Just for the heck of it check out anyway.

Oh well, how about what we used to call an "RV" cam? That'll ramp up the power without a lot of extra bolt-ons.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Ya know, you made us run out to the van and check clearances over the aircleaner. . . my son has a 350 from an 80's Camaro . . . .but the main difficulty is the worksite, we don't really have one, just a real, true-to-life shadetree (a Cottonwood), so we're just looking for bolt-ons and pretty much lower cost stuff for after the backyard overhaul.

The RV cam is one thing we're looking into. Personally, I'm a Mopar fan, so I'm not sure what brand cams are preferred for Chevys. Suggestions welcomed!

fit and possibly a Edelbrock intake.

Those intake ports look like they're really restrictive with the swirl generation ramp. Are there any better flowing heads available? Something that looks like a "normal" port?

Thanks again

Budd

Reply to
mr-d150

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Just to keep the (V8) juices flowing -- take a look at

Enjoy, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

Budd, why not look into one of the 'putor reprogrammar's?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Hey, friend! I shoulda figured you were wandering around in here.

My brother is thinking about that also, but he wants to get the most out of the reprogramming. Any suggestions as to a good one?

The Edelbrock intake manifold has a chip with it which takes the price up over $300!!!!!

Thanks for the reply.

Budd

Reply to
mr-d150

I haven't any idea who makes one for it. Your gonna have to search around on that.

I wouldn't think that is too bad a deal.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Well, it looks like the hot rod stuff will be on hold for a while. Dan needs to save up the bucks and then we're going with a rebuilt engine this fall.

I wonder if I can get that old scooter running and run away from home . . . .

Budd

Reply to
mr-d150