ABS sensor update

A few months back I asked about any tips on cleaning front wheel sensors on a '99 Yukon 1500 4x4 . Had under 5 mph ABS activation on dry stops. Finally got around to wrenching and results are..... In this truck the sensors are in the front wheel bearings, tone wheel is internal to the bearing. GM manual is spot on contrary to replies. Only way the sensor is going to get contaminated is due to bearing failure. My failure was due to a rusty dust shield rubbing through the insulation on the sensor wire. Check yours, it's hard to spot as it's well hidden by the dust shield but a piece of split hose or a piece of plastic harness tubing will protect the wire where it hits the dust shield. At a $100 a pop for sensors check yours before it wears through. I'm guessing it's a issue on these series trucks. My LF wire was worn badly, RF only slightly.

Reply to
Repairman