Aluminum wheels

Hello everybody-
I haven't really dealt with aluminum wheels in a lot of years, so this may be a real stupid question:
Is it all right to use them in the winter, in Michigan, without the
fear of the salt ruining them?
It seems to me that we never used aluminum during the winter, only steel was allowed.
Also, is there special lug-nut types to use with aluminum wheels?
These would be installed on my 1996 Chevy K3500 4x4.
Thanks. -Tim
A friend had aluminum wheels on a Ford Ranger he 'lifted". He polished them, then used an epoxy "clear coat" on them. He had a problem of oxidation before he coated them. He was in Raleigh NC (humid, no salt) I don't remember what he used, but I could ask him. Frank
mudmantim wrote:

Use of proper coated weights is first issue and no breaks in the factory clear if so equipped is number 2.

-
Well, my tires are already mounted and weighted, no epoxy or any protectant.
Sounds like I should just get some different all-seasons to replace what I already have on.
Thanks for your help. -Tim
Shep wrote:

They come with the protective coating on them already.. I drove my '95 Tahoe with the factory aluminum wheels in Minnesota salty winters and never gave it a thought.
I took them to a tire place yesterday and was told that they are Alloy and not to worry. (I thought that Alloy was just Aluminum Alloy without the word Aluminum?) Anyway, he said that they are factory GM rims from a few years back.
They are 285/16's; were just a tad too big though. After a couple minutes with a sledge hammer, they fit just right with no rubbing at all.
Damn they look cool!
-Tim