Refinishing Aluminum wheels?

The wheels on my 86 300SDL are original and showing signs of wear (silver finish is faded and discolored). I had a quote for refinishing them (redoing the silver finish, and then taking out any defects of the wheel) of around $250/wheel. My question is, is there a simple way to refinish the silver coating on the wheels oneself, to make them look ok?

Otherwise, I may just buy some new non-mercedes rims from tirerack.com. For the 86 SDL they have sizes 15x7 and 16x7.5 for approx $120/wheel, which have the same look as the original rims, but I guess not of the same quality. Any suggestions as to size and whether such low-cost wheels are ok to use? Thanks,

-- Jeff

Reply to
dynamorph

Get another quote. In Connecticut, the highest quote I got was $150/wheel.

John

Reply to
John Simpson

Reply to
marlinspike

That's way too much... just go to a body shop and ask... we just had someone who is a friend do it for $50 a wheel... sandblast and paint...

TireRack sells good wheels... they meet OE standard... so they are strong enough. Sometime you have to question... fix up beat up old wheels or new wheel? Sometime you are better off just buying new wheels.

Reply to
Tiger

Check Wheel Collision Center in Bath, PA. I think they do wheels for more like $100-150, which includes repairing dings/dents, etc. I haven't used them myself, but have hear good reports about them.

Reply to
trader4