axle swap

Will a 12 bolt axle from a 79 Chevy short bed 4x4 bolt into a 86 GMC 4x4 short bed? Same gear ratios. I understand that the 12 bolt u joints are different and that it may require a different driveline. Any hints?

Yes it WILL swap in with only a specific u-joint! The knuckle on the 12bolt is smaller than the one on the 10bolt...I have been trying to figure out why... Any quality parts store can look up the swap u-joint
I Have a rear-end from a '76 in my '85...
| Will a 12 bolt axle from a 79 Chevy short bed 4x4 bolt into a 86 GMC 4x4 | short bed? Same gear ratios. I understand that the 12 bolt u joints are | different and that it may require a different driveline. Any hints? | | |
Shades is correct, there is a universal joint that will attach almost any drive shaft to any yoke. If the guys at AutoZoo can't help look up a Napa or other top end store.
Brian