Big Block vs. Small Block

Page 2 of 2
A quad turboed 350 (one turbo hooked up to every two cylinders) with competiton cams and racing pistons etc etc..., bored .030 over and with titanium alloy cylinder sleeves running off 130 Octane Avgas can put down
over 1200Hp. Whats the octane of alky? add nitrous to the avgas and it may well reach a bit higher!
rhys

✖
http://whiteknight.scriptmania.com/RUSTY.wmv
This is a quote... sorry for the grey font color.
"I built the chassis 7 years ago for a naturally aspirated small block. The thing is mostly made out of .095 wall thickness DOM tubing. Four Link front and rear, Ford 9" rear with spool and 5:83 gears, Dana 44 front with 3:54 gears, custom built chain drive for the front end, reardisk brakes ( soon to add front disks again......this thing is way too quick now), Ford rack and pinion, Halon fire system, owner built air shifter, Turbo 350 tranny with a ton of good stuff( ya, I know it won't work but it does. My tranny guy is a genius but even he can't believe it works. I have to rebuild it a lot. We should have a Lenco and clutch for 03) Engine... 572 cubic inch all aluminum RODECK, Kuhl 14-71 Hi-Helix Retro blower, Enderle Bird on alky with 990 pump, Mallory magIV, Brodix heads, 11.5 to 1 Aries pistons, Brooks rods, Crower crank, cam, roller lifters, rockers, etc., When this motor was new it dyno tested at 2208 hp with a straight Mooneyham 14-71 @ 60% over. My new Mike Kuhl 14 makes more boost but I have it tamed down to 35% over on a pretty fat tune up. We figure its at about 1800 hp on this tune up. With the aluminum engine and hand built glass Austin Mini body the car weighs about 2200 lbs. 33" Bigger Diggers and shaved 33" Boggers on the front. I'm still babying the tranny so the best we've done is high 2 sec in 180 ft.....3 sec flat on 200 ft pits. Thanks Rusty and the Hairy Kanary, "

Add pictures here
✖
the short simple answer is this.
A big block produces more HP and torque and also consumes more gas. A big block generates more torque and horse power in the lower rpm range.
A small block makes reasonable HP and less torque , and it comsumes less gas in doing so. A small block makes its horse power and torque in the upper rpm range.
Most "tow" vehicles run a big block due to its ability to generate a lot of torque in the lower rpm range. THis makes a big block the better tool for moving heaving loads, the trade-off is that it comsues a large amout of fuel to do so.
the generally accepted pro for the big block is its ability to move heavy loads and generate power at low rpms. The con is the fuel milage.
The generally accepted pro for the small block is the better fuel milage and the ablitly to make power in the upper rpm ranges. The con is that its less powerful..

--
Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil

Add pictures here
✖
What that was all about is...If you need BIG power, have money to spare, and don't mind less than ideal MPG, Get a Rat Otherwise, keep your mouse! More than adequate power can be had from a Mouse for half or less than half of the cost of rebuilding a stock Rat. Plus, you could get a truck load of Mouses from almost any salvage yard. Rats are VERY scarce and one would cost the same as the truck load of Mouses...

Add pictures here
✖

✖
The primary difference between a small-block and a big-block is weight and cubic inch displacement capability. I am presently building a stroked small block displacing 383cid producing over 425 hp and 500 ft. lbs. of torque below 5,000 rpm. Those Rats may rule the sewers but my Mouse will rule the woods. -- Mad Dog 79 Scottsdale 4x4

Add pictures here
✖