Can I Buy GM parts online, instead of going to dealer?

I can't find a TPS connector at any of the part stores. They tell me I have to go to a dealer for it. I'd like to avoid this, so does anyone know where to buy parts like this online?

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

why not the dealer ?

if the parts guy is any good at all, he can have it ordered before you find it on-line

G (thanking God daily for a good parts dept at the local Chevy store)

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

"Gary Glaenzer" wrote

A good parts guy is worth his weight in gold. Too bad they are underpaid.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

The local dealer is your best source of advice and parts. If your local one is not to your liking... or they are too expensive then look for another one in a nearby town...

---> I can not tell you if their prices aregood or how their service is as I get my parts at local parts shops, PepBoysor the local GMC truck shop but they seem to have a nice selection of parts. If all else fails you can go to a junk yard and get the whole throttle body. I just got a catalog from LMC truck they do have tps's for my suburban listed ($30) so they may have one for your truck...

good luck mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

I'll second that. Went to the dealer last week in search of a transmission train plug. They didn't have one but he remembered they were tearing apart an Avalanche in the shop. I gladly paid full price for a used drain plug. Joseph GMC in Cincinnati for those who care.

Joshua

Reply to
Joshua Phillips

is one I've used, service was pretty quick, parts were reasonable (saved over $200 on the parts for the infamous CPI injector/nut kit). One problem I have with the site is that you need the part number to get a price, though they have a phone number you can call...

Reply to
Mike Levy A+, N+, MCP

and extremely rare

I'm blessed that our GM place has not one, but two, who take the time to DIG for the info, instead of saying' tough shit, it's not on the computer'.............

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Markup mostly.

store)

Reply to
DJ Hatt

by the time you pay shipping on a measly TPS, you will have spent as much or more than the dealer gets

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I use these guy's when I get frustrated with the local's.. It's a gm dealer site.. petty good..

JJ

Reply to
JohnJ

I see your point, but I hate paying double or triple for parts anyway.

before

Reply to
DJ Hatt

throttle body.

suburban

Thanks for the info. I found 8 trucks like mine in a junkyard, but not one of them had the throttle body in it. Most of them didn't even have any engine at all. I found a throttle body at another one though. I didn't know I needed a connector then. I got it just to tear apart so I knew what they were about. Its not the TPS I'm after. Those you can get at a parts store. I'm after the connector.

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

Hmmmm, the same shop that put the wrong speaker in my Yukon when it died.....

The same shop that tried to convince me that I brought the same Yukon in with busted plastic under the wiper arms when the circuit board was replaced under recall. Plastic that busted because the arm was forced on one notch to far to the left......

The same dealer that gave a who cares attitude when I was wanting to price out an '03 2500HD and took absolutely no steps to do such and acted like it was a MAJOR effort and pain in the arse to even do a search to see if said truck already existed anywhere.....

The same shop where the first sales droid I was speaking with took a call on his cell phone from A FRIEND ABOUT THE EVENING PLANS when already talking with me, a prospective customer.... He wasn't getting the sale no matter what else transpired..... Oh yeah, the sales droid also somehow forgot from the showroom to the lot that I was looking for specific things in a 2500HD and showed me a LONG line of 1500 series trucks and then asks "Well hey, did you see anything you liked?" HELLO!!!! WHERE ARE THE FREAKIN' 2500HDs?????

Maybe a good parts shop, but A LOT else left to be desired.....

Reply to
Kevin

Your local autoparts store should have blanks that will allow you to make your own pigtails. I know that my local Napa has the blanks as I made my own water proof connections when I converted my '83 6.2 diesel to a '91 glow plug system. Look around, changing the plug on the TPS to the correct should not be a big problem as long as you know the proper wiring order and are sure the TPS will generate the correct voltages for your ECM.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

correct

Thanks Mark, I'll check into this, please check out the thread also today with the subject "service engine light soon."

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt

I looked at the other thread... try to solder the connections if possible. Butt-connectors can introduce too much resistance and cause problems. Keep working on it eventually you will figure out what the problem is and you can say to yourself that you saved a lot of money.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor

Reply to
Robert Ball

I got the TPS connector for my 87 K5 at Advanced Auto Parts in the HELP section. Good Luck JR

Reply to
JR

I will remember Joseph GMC in Cicny....problem is I am in Cleveland LOL

Jason Sobol

problems. Keep

That is right! I forgot about that. Maybe this is why sometimes the ECM is picking this up and other times its not. What do you insulate connections with after soldering? And which kind of solder should I use?

Hatt

Reply to
DJ Hatt