Can I Buy GM parts online, instead of going to dealer?

Page 1 of 3
I can't find a TPS connector at any of the part stores. They tell me I have to go to a dealer for it. I'd like to avoid this, so does anyone know where to buy parts like
this online?
Hatt
why not the dealer ?
if the parts guy is any good at all, he can have it ordered before you find it on-line
G (thanking God daily for a good parts dept at the local Chevy store)

"Gary Glaenzer" wrote

A good parts guy is worth his weight in gold. Too bad they are underpaid.
Ian
shiden_kai wrote:

I'll second that. Went to the dealer last week in search of a transmission train plug. They didn't have one but he remembered they were tearing apart an Avalanche in the shop. I gladly paid full price for a used drain plug. Joseph GMC in Cincinnati for those who care.
Joshua
Hmmmm, the same shop that put the wrong speaker in my Yukon when it died.....
The same shop that tried to convince me that I brought the same Yukon in with busted plastic under the wiper arms when the circuit board was replaced under recall. Plastic that busted because the arm was forced on one notch to far to the left......
The same dealer that gave a who cares attitude when I was wanting to price out an '03 2500HD and took absolutely no steps to do such and acted like it was a MAJOR effort and pain in the arse to even do a search to see if said truck already existed anywhere.....
The same shop where the first sales droid I was speaking with took a call on his cell phone from A FRIEND ABOUT THE EVENING PLANS when already talking with me, a prospective customer.... He wasn't getting the sale no matter what else transpired..... Oh yeah, the sales droid also somehow forgot from the showroom to the lot that I was looking for specific things in a 2500HD and showed me a LONG line of 1500 series trucks and then asks "Well hey, did you see anything you liked?" HELLO!!!! WHERE ARE THE FREAKIN' 2500HDs?????
Maybe a good parts shop, but A LOT else left to be desired.....

Kevin wrote:

I can't expound on the sales or service end of the dealership but I have to say I was impressed with the parts guys. Holman GMC is where I've bought both of my trucks and I couldn't be happier with the service dept or the sales dept. Too bad they are an hour (each way) for us west siders. I can tell you that I went to Sweeney GMC in Queensgate for my sticking throttle body and was not at all happy with their work.
Joshua
Joshua,
The way I see it, they are basically all the same and need to be monitored and checked up on after the job. It's a time vs. money thing and just get 'em in and out. Of course the person that doesn't know they are looking at an OIL filler cap and NOT a 710 filler cap is at their mercy! These are the reasons I do 99% of my own mechanical work unless it is under warranty, recall or just more than I have the tools, time or capability to handle.
Kevin

==================================================== Re: Can I Buy GM parts online, instead of going to dealer? Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Jun 25, 2003, 11:33am (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@nunya.com (Kevin)
Joshua,
The way I see it, they are basically all the same and need to be monitored and checked up on after the job. It's a time vs. money thing and just get 'em in and out. Of course the person that doesn't know they are looking at an OIL filler cap and NOT a 710 filler cap is at their mercy! These are the reasons
I DO 99% OF MY OWN MECHANICAL WORK...........
unless it is under warranty, recall
or just more
than I have the tools,
time or
capability to handle.
Kevin ================================= you may want to reword that........
not counting the warranty and recall....
those last 3 disclaimers kinda knocks the shit out of your 99% don't it?
..gibson6string.. is in the biz...and still doesn't do 99% of his own mechanical work.. =================================

it
have
dept
my
Sticking throttle body?
Hatt
DJ Hatt wrote:

From the same people who invented plastic that rusts, trucks that automatically shift into 4wd and a host of other cutting edge "must haves" it's the sticking throttle body or gas pedal (you choose the terminology). Essentially every 10-15k the throttle body needs to be cleaned out because the tolerances between the throttle plate and throttle body are too damn tight and the buildup of carbon in this area causes the throttle plate to bind. Some people here find this acceptable, I do not. If you go to Holman they swap out the entire unit with an improved design that also begins to bind after the prescribed amount of time. If you go to Sweeney they clean it out and then tell you you should be grateful they (Sweeney) aren't charging you for this. I was too tired to engage this "person" in a conversation so I praised the good Lord right then and there and wet about my way. Also Sweeney doesn't tighten the hose clamp where the tube mounts the throttle body. Boy I sure was lucky that day woohoo!
Joshua
I will remember Joseph GMC in Cicny....problem is I am in Cleveland LOL

and extremely rare
I'm blessed that our GM place has not one, but two, who take the time to DIG for the info, instead of saying' tough shit, it's not on the computer'.............
Markup mostly.

me
like
by the time you pay shipping on a measly TPS, you will have spent as much or more than the dealer gets

I see your point, but I hate paying double or triple for parts anyway.

tell
World!
Try your local NAPA parts house. Check the dealers cost, many times they are competitive (not cheaper but within a few dollars). I am always shocked but the dealer is sometimes about the same as the local Kragen (also known as Checkers & Schucks in different parts of the USA), other times not.
DJ Hatt wrote:

The local dealer is your best source of advice and parts. If your local one is not to your liking... or they are too expensive then look for another one in a nearby town...
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ ---> I can not tell you if their prices are good or how their service is as I get my parts at local parts shops, PepBoys or the local GMC truck shop but they seem to have a nice selection of parts.
If all else fails you can go to a junk yard and get the whole throttle body. I just got a catalog from LMC truck they do have tps's for my suburban listed ($30) so they may have one for your truck... http://www.lmctruck.com
good luck mark
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:37:53 -0400, "rock_doctor"

www.partszoneonline.com is one I've used, service was pretty quick, parts were reasonable (saved over $200 on the parts for the infamous CPI injector/nut kit). One problem I have with the site is that you need the part number to get a price, though they have a phone number you can call...

me
like
local one

another one

prices are

PepBoys
of parts.

throttle body.

suburban
http://www.lmctruck.com
Thanks for the info. I found 8 trucks like mine in a junkyard, but not one of them had the throttle body in it. Most of them didn't even have any engine at all. I found a throttle body at another one though. I didn't know I needed a connector then. I got it just to tear apart so I knew what they were about. Its not the TPS I'm after. Those you can get at a parts store. I'm after the connector.
Hatt

Your local autoparts store should have blanks that will allow you to make your own pigtails. I know that my local Napa has the blanks as I made my own water proof connections when I converted my '83 6.2 diesel to a '91 glow plug system. Look around, changing the plug on the TPS to the correct should not be a big problem as long as you know the proper wiring order and are sure the TPS will generate the correct voltages for your ECM.
good luck, mark