Cat. Convert.

Page 1 of 2
Can I take out the Cat. or Cats on my '96 Yukon with the (Vortec 5.7) without any problems.?? I am getting a rattling sound from it so I assume one of the baffles or
plates inside must be coming apart and instead of the expense of replacing it I would rather just cut it out.......
Thanks
if you remove the catalytic convertors from a cat equipped vehicle, you set yourself up for some SERIOUSLY stiff fines (think 6 figures for each cat) from the fed gov't for when you get caught. do the right thing and purchase (a) new one(s).
-Bret and by the way.... it is EXTREMELY easy to tell just by smell of the cats are in there or not.

too many problems too many fines you need to replace it
We have no emission testing where I am and I know of too many people that have done it including the local Midas muffler shop who has done a few cut outs for me to think that we have any kind of fine but I will look into that.....

replacing
just because other people do it doesn't make it any more legal. we're talking about emissions tampering on a federal level. I'm quite suprised that a national chain (Midas) would cut out the cat. I'm sure Midas' corp office would strongly disapprove of such actions. do what you want.... it's not legal and never will be legal.
-Bret

or
....You work for the emissions testing where you live or what...Relax.....Besides I just hung up the phone from two of the big chain muffler shops in our town and both said that you are WRONG, they would cut it out for $ 60.00 and that we have no testing and no fines for such actions. They did say that depending on where you may move to in the future and assuming you still own that vehicle you may have to put it back in to be legal. I have no plans to move so that's not the problem. The problem however is that in those vehicles there is actually 3 converters and there are sensors in the line after the converters so yes it will screw up the computer. If that wasn't the case I would have no problem saving the money and them out. I do however understand what you are saying and if I lived in your part of the world then I could see the point for leaving them in.

5.7)

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr 0328&prmen br61
Or you could just buy the o2 sensor simulators and not worry about screwing up the computer.
Thank-you.....another person who would have no prop. cutting them out. ..You are most certainly right, there are 3 and there are sensors after them.....

there
money
screwing up

I do like to keep them, but if you put a high flow one on and the computer doesnt like it, then get the o2 sensor simulators from jegs.
I am assuming that you must live in the States with those kinds of Federal laws and such stiff penalties...

5.7)
WTF ?
you think that 'Federal laws' are only enforced in certain states ?
one can only hope you're on a trip and get pulled over for a random emissions test..............

baffles
You'll also notice, hopefully, that he's using a Canadian email address, and is likely not from the United States. Do you know the emissions regulations in Canada? and how they are enforced or where?
Brandonb
Gary Glaenzer wrote:

I missed the canadian addy too... -Bret

for US ppl...
http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/policies/civil/caa/mobile/tamperpenpol.pdf
-Bret

That's right, I am in Canada and it varies from city to city and province to province. All I do know foresure is that in my province and city there are no such rules and any shop will take them out like I say for $60.00..

I am not in any State so no prob here......

WTF ?
you think that 'Federal laws' are only enforced in certain states ?
one can only hope you're on a trip and get pulled over for a random emissions test..............

baffles
I also forgot to mention that your computer will freak out... throwing convertor efficiency codes up the wazoo.. -Bret

or
Are you sure it's not the heat shield above the converter making the rattle?

I thought of that and it looks good...

replacing