MAF or cat?

I have a '00 Max SE with about 91,000 miles on it. Had a code P0138 (sensor) a little while back and had it replaced. Ran well for a little while. Now I'm getting the rough idle, hesitation, sputtering, etc. on starts, beginning acceleration and at a stop while in drive (for example). I've had the rotten egg smell today which didn't last too long. At times it starts and runs fine. Lately though it's been a problem. I'm also checking on Maxima Forums but haven't received a reply yet. SEL is on as well. Got the car with 55,000 on it and I have not had a tune-up done on it yet. I just don't want to keep going back and forth to the mechanic and getting nickeled and dimed on this. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Run high-test in it as well. Let me know if it could be the plugs, fuel filter, pump, etc. Thx in advance!

Reply to
PickleJuice

The P0138 code is not the MAF sensor. It indicates that the Heated Oxygen Sensor #2 (bank 1) is not responding properly. My SEL came on with a P0140, a different sensor and my mileage dropped about 3 miles per gallon on the average. Before I could get it to the shop, it went out. It runs fine and the mileage varies.

I'll keep watching to see more answers.

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas

You need to get the code read again. It might not be the same problem as before. Many parts stores (e.g. AutoZone) will read it for free and tell you the number. Somebody here should be able to tell you what to check once you get a current number.

Reply to
E Meyer

any readings on the intake air temp, MAP sensor?

It could be the EGR valve.

PickleJuice wrote:

Reply to
AS

Reply to
PickleJuice

I found that if the assembly that holds the MAF becomes loose from the throttle body, the car will run terribly or not at all. A quick shake will tell if it's tight as it should be.

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas

Reply to
PickleJuice

It's a cylindrical device inline with the air feed to the throttlebody. It is connected electrically. Here is a picture of it. If you need to replace it, this is where to buy it for the 2000 Max.

Chuck In Dallas

Reply to
PickleJuice