Cost to change axle gears

Hello, I recently stopped at the local 4Wheel parts store to inquire about changing the axle ratio in my truck.

I drive a 1994 Chevy K1500 (4.3L).

I believe that the truck has the stock 3.08 gears, with very non-stock

33x12.5 tires.

I would like to run 4.10's to help out that 4.3L a little bit.

The quote I received was just over $1500 for parts and labor (not including tax). The labor break down was: $400-rear and $500-front. The other $600 must be for parts.

This quote seems to be a bit on the high side from what I expected.

Should I be insulted by these bozo's? Are these guys trying to rip me off?

Or...

Was I crazy thinking that this job should be significantly less expensive than this?

-NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

I am just comparing to what I have seen posted here in the past, but $2000 seems about normal for front and rear together. 3.08 to 4.10 is a big jump. If you do this, be sure it's what you want. A 3.73 may be more in order. Totally depends on your needs, though.

Just something to keep in mind.

Snowman

Reply to
Snowman

You get what you pay for. You want quality GM gears and they are expensive. That parts cost should cover new bearings and seals. Labor is maybe a hundred high, so you should shop around for someone experienced in setting up the differentials. You can get the best work for that money.

I think you'll regret the 4.10s unless you NEVER want to go over 50 MPH.

Dave

Reply to
debruch

Somehow,on Mon, 08 Sep 2003 18:33:31 GMT, "debruch" managed to spout out:

what makes you say that?

Mike `02 Silverado 2500HD

Reply to
Janitor Boy Junior

unless he's got a 3L80 (aka TH400) he'll be just fine with 4.10's esp with

33's and a 4l60's .70 OD. On my '88 K2500 I've got 265-75-16 BFG AT K/O's which measure 32" tall. my 350 turns only at about 1600 rpm or so at 60 MPH (what the speedo reads, actual speed 63MPH). I have a 3.73 rear. with 4.10's I believe his 4.3 will be turning right around 1850RPM which is completely fine and will be a hell of alot easier on his tranny than locking and unlocking all the time with the 3.08.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Well guys, I really appreciate the input.

To sum up what you're telling me... The quote isn't out of line, so I shouldn't fell like they're trying to rip me off.

I'll shop around and see what I can find.

Thanks! NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

Bingo! Yeah, overdrive is pretty well useless right now, unless I'm cruising at about 80MPH. Any lower than that and the 4L60E can't seem to pick a gear. I've run the numbers on a few online gearing calculators and with 4.10 gears, I should be right in the 2000RPM ballpark even up to 70MPH.

Right now, it drives like it's pulling a trailer. The truck has 153k miles on it, looks great, and runs great. I want to change out these gears to make it drive better, and to hopefully lengthen the life of the rest of the drivetrain by not making it work so hard all the time.

-NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

Well, it may all be a moot point.

Some drunk hit my parked truck in front of my house at 3:00am this morning.

The speed limit was 25MPH, but he was going fast enough to flip his car.

Talk about irresponsible. I've gone from planning mods to my truck to hoping that it's not totaled!

To top it off, the cop only sited him for failure to control, and not DUI. I guess it was too close to the end of his shift to start that paperwork.

Oh well... I just needed to vent some.

Later! NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

Does he have Overdrive? When I smoked the 700RP.O.S. in my '86 C20 burb, I went to a TH400. The 4.10s were way too low for Highway Speeds, even with tall 16" wheels. The 3.73s were perfect IMHO.

Dave '94 K2500 burb '63 C10

Reply to
debruch

That really sucks. My condolences.

Reply to
debruch

hd_883 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted:

Sorry to hear the bad news. But personally, if it was mine, I'd hope it *was* totaled.

Reply to
Spike13

If they do total it... Will the bank transfer the remainder of my loan to the new truck or would I have to pay the old loan off and completely re-apply for financing? My financial situation has changed a bit since I bought the truck (I went back to school full time) and I'm not sure I'll have as easy a time getting financing this time around. You're right though, I would *prefer* that they totaled it. I just don't know if I can afford for them to total it.

-NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

hd_883 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted:

Well, different states and different insurance companies I suspect. But my experiance is that if it's totalled, you'll get a check, and it will be up to you to pay off the original loan. I've never heard of a bank redoing an existing loan. I'm positive you'll have to reapply.

In the meanwhile, do a little shopping so you have a very good idea what the replacement value of your truck is. The figure your insurance company comes up with *is* arguable. If you throw a 'bullshit' flag on the field and can hold out, chances are you can get a better offer.

As an aside, (e-mail address), have you seen the new rubber-mount Sporties yet?

Spike

Reply to
Spike13

Yeah... they're pretty cool! Harley has addressed the two mods that I've wanted to do to my '97!! A rubber-mounted engine, and a bigger gas tank!!!! woohoo!!! It'll be a while before I can afford to upgrade, but at least they've addressed the issues. For that matter, I may be able to find aftermarket parts and retrofit them onto the one I already have. Later! NW

Reply to
NetWeasel