Pug 106 cambelt change cost ???

Daughter after M reg 106 1.0 Madi Gras 75000 mls on clock. I reckon it needs new cam belt but teen argues otherwise !! Any kind person please tell me at what mileage to change belt and any idea of cost ? Is it within the reach of a general home mechanic ??

Tia

John H ( many more grey hairs )

Reply to
Hirsty's

It is a 72000 replacement, so is due.

To do it really properly is not a home job. However, if you are skilled and confident there is no reason why not. Main problems are deciding correct tension and a couple of timing pins.

A dealer time is 1.5 hours so even a main dealer wont be too dear, a mobile cam belt man would be cheaper.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I was not sure how to, and busy, so had a local firm do one on my wife's ax, which is the same engine I think, total cost was 75quid a year ago.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

I had a 205 which at 60000 I decided to have the belt changed

Good job too the old one was like a perished rubber band it literally fell to bits in my hands.

Reply to
Ian

================= How old was it - in years? The renewal interval is usually quoted in years or miles - something like 4 years / 40000 miles. Renewal should be at 4 years even if the target mileage (e.g. 40000 miles) hasn't been reached.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

It probably is within the reach of a home mechanic but Peugeot themselves only charged £120 a year ago when we bought a 1.4 diseasel 106. Less than that is possible as someone else has said.

Reply to
Malc

Hi,

When I had a 106 and had it serviced at a Peugeot garage,they changed it at

58,000 - about £250 as I remember. I then carried on driving it till 140,000 miles - on the same cambelt! That was a couple of years ago, I do still see it being driven around locally - I wonder if its still on the same cambelt?
Reply to
Electric dabbler