Differential Fluid

What is the proper fill level for the front and rear differentials? 07 Silverado 2500 Duramax 3:73
I always thought is was to the bottom of the drain plug hole but it seems to
be different per the owners manual. Why didn't they just put the hole at the right height?
Correction: I meant to say to the bottom of the FILL hole.