CRV rear differential fluid

The dealer sugggested I change the rear differential fluid to solve this clunking noise I am hearing when I drive in reverse. Can anybody tell me what kind of gear oil I need? Can I get it from an auto parts store, or does it have to come from Honda? I assume there is a drain plug right on the differential? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Ken Aman

You need a litre of Dual Pump Fluid which only comes from Honda. Depending on what country you're in, you may have to buy 2 Quarts. If your honda dealer doesn't have DPF, they will substitute Honda Z1 ATF. It's a twenty minute job (after you get the %*#@+&^ drain and fill bolts loose) to change it, and it should be done every 50,000 Km, (30,000 miles) but it's not often you get so bad to have clunking in reverse. It solves terrible noises during low-speed left-hand U-turns. If yours is a '97 (you didn't mention the year or mileage) you can use some clear tubing taped to a stick and fill it right over top of the rear left wheel, otherwise, get a huge syringe or snorkel-type gizmo to pump it from the bottle uphill into the fill hole.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _