Engine code 43 Doc Shiden???

89 K1500 new engine new transmission giving me an engine code 43 What should I look For to determine if it is the knock sensor or something else?
Reply to
Jeff

It all depends on when the SES light is coming on. When it comes on, is it usually under hard acceleration, and when the light comes on does the engine immediately bog and have pitiful power for a few minutes afterwards?

If no to the above, when does it come on?

In the meantime, check the wire that connects to the KS. It has a tendency of getting fried to the exhaust manifold and shorting. The KS can be tested for free at Autozone, and is cheaper than dirt to replace. If you yank it to be tested, make sure the engine is COLD as the KS sits in the water jacket and you will get soaked when you "pull the cork."

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Seems to come on when under accleration but I have never lost any power when it comes on just annoying to have that little orange light come on.

Reply to
Jeff

You need to check the base timing and make sure it's set correctly. While the ESC system has no way of "knowing" where the base is set, it does expect a certain amount of knock (or no knock) under certain driving condtions, and when it doesn't happen it'll just assume the KS or ESC module is crapped out and spit a code 43 at ya.

Also, are you getting any knock under load?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"