New engine

Finally got around to getting a new engine for my '66. The old one did finally seize up. Although the heads, pistons, cylinders and a few other parts are salvageable, I went ahead and had a new engine built for it. It has a AS41 new case and all the parts are brand new... well the heater boxes are used. A new engine is pricey though, but well worth it. Now to rewire the car and think about upgrading the brakes to discs...

Anyway here is a shot of the new engine...

dragenwagen

dragenwagen escreveu:

Very nice engine. So you will back to the road soon. There are a few issues about the position of the fuel filter that you have, but you must know that.

Jo=E3o

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Yeah, I know. I will re-locate it. But there is alot of work yet to be done geting it back on the road. So many things to check/clean/replace after it was under 4 feet of salt water last year. Its still in good shape though.

dw

Very nice engine. So you will back to the road soon. There are a few issues about the position of the fuel filter that you have, but you must know that.

João

Reply to
dragenwagen

It good to see you motivated again!!!

Jo=E3o

dragenwagen escreveu:

Reply to
joao_eliseu

Did you have that built locally?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Looks good. One step closer to veedubbin' down the highway. That'll be a good thing.

Reply to
Mike64Bug

Yes, it was built locally. I still have the old engine, although the case is junk I am salvaging all the parts i can to put together a spare engine.

Reply to
dragenwagen

Ah, I was hoping for leads on a good possible mail order place for the future, since GEX apparently sucks. The only local classic bug FLAPS around here (V-Dub Folks) no doubt can supply engines but I don't know their reputation for that or if they are just reselling ones made elsewhere. Fortunately, my own engine probably has quite a while before I need to worry about it.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

check out

lots of classified there, also forums.. and if you go on the engine forums im sure someone would gladly let you knwo who the decent / rebutable vendors are... ive heard alot of good about chico performance aswell

Reply to
Brian "Grimace" H.

Thanks. I'm already familiar with that site. :)

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I can understand that. The way I see it is that if you order an engine, a turn key in my case, is that if something is wrong with it then where does that leave you? You have to send a nasty engine back... to where? Then who knows what happens.... and if its trashed are they gonna send it back to you for the parts you paid for? Most likely they are going to say it was your fault you ran it too hard or something.... If you arent there to see the damage or whats going on then you are at their mercy. Or charge you and arm and a leg for repairs then shipping it back to you? Weeks of no motor for your car?

I had a local guy build mine I don't know if he does mail order on engines. Now, I probably paid a little more for it than some of the bigger companies that crank out engines all day long charge. I know what he used in building the motor, I asked for good parts before it was built. We discussed it at length on what I wanted. I got exactly what I wanted. But if I have problems with it, I can go to his shop and get it resolved. I try to give the local VW parts houses and shops my business when I can, because they are close by and I usually can get what I need right away.

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen