Fuel gauge not working

I have a 2000 chev express van with the fuel gauge that works from full to about 3/4 of a tank.Is there a procedure for checking the gauge or the sending unit in the tank without removing the tank?

pull the wire off the sender terminal and ground it - the fuel guage should read full. - if it doesn't then the fuel gauge is bad - if it does, then the tank sending unit (which is actually a sliding resistor with a float attached to it) is probably bad. If the sender is bad, then you will undoubtedly have to pull the tank to replace it.

Zombie Wolf wrote:

And don't be surprised to find out that replacing the sender means replacing the fuel pump. Some units MAY have senders that are independently replaceable, but the one on my '99 K3500 didn't. Replaced the whole thing at considerable expense.
It's doable, though, even for a parts-changer like me! :)
JLarsson