Generations of small blocks.... need help with a swap

Okay, so I had a rod throw it's bolt neatly through a tiny hole in my oil pan last year. I've been looking at an engine swap.

I have a 1990 K1500. It's TBI 350, all stock, serpentine belt, etc.

I have the opportunity to get an earlier generation small block 350 to pop into my truck. This new engine is rebuilt by someone I trust and built with all good quality parts. Nothing extreme, just a good solid rebuild.

My quesitons are: Will the accessories all bolt up? What do I need to worry about? Engine mounts? Are there years that I should look at as very different?

All the swaps I've done were on big old ponitacs....

Thanks in advance,

John F.

Reply to
Axis29

What year engine is the rebuilt one? Is it center-bolt valve cover?

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
David Johnson

Reply to
David Johnson

Do not forget that the water pump on a serpentine belt runs opposite of older non sepentine models.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I have never had this problem and I do not know where you are geting it from. The only metal that is critical about needing to be different at times is stainless as it can gaul badly at times when like alloys are rubbed together. BTW, Ring and pinion gear sets have the same alloy in both parts of it.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I do not have all the details of the older engine... guess I need to do a bit more research.

Thanks again everyone!

John F.

Reply to
Axis29

Reply to
David Johnson

How are the valve covers bolted on the older engine? 4 around the perimeter or 3 through the top?

Reply to
Shades

valve covers on my engine are through bolted... other engine is on the perimeter. I think I'm outta luck on an easy swap....

Thanks everybody for replying.

Reply to
Axis29

Reply to
David Johnson

If you are willing to modify the TBI intake manifold, it will work. The 4 center bolts(2 per side) on the TBI intake are at a different angle than the bolt holes on the early heads. With a die grinder, time, and a careful hand, the manifold can be modified to fit the early heads.

Otherwise you can get an aftermarket Holley intake for the TBI and early heads(JEG'S pn. 510-300-49).

Reply to
Shades