Generations of small blocks.... need help with a swap

Okay, so I had a rod throw it's bolt neatly through a tiny hole in my oil pan last year. I've been looking at an engine swap.
I have a 1990 K1500. It's TBI 350, all stock, serpentine belt, etc.
I have the opportunity to get an earlier generation small block 350 to pop into my truck. This new engine is rebuilt by someone I trust and built with all good quality parts. Nothing extreme, just a good solid rebuild.
My quesitons are: Will the accessories all bolt up? What do I need to worry about? Engine mounts? Are there years that I should look at as very different?
All the swaps I've done were on big old ponitacs....
Thanks in advance,
John F.
What year engine is the rebuilt one? Is it center-bolt valve cover?

The heads are generally the only problem. You have to have heads with proper mounting holes for your accesories. Also there are original sbc heads,heads with 2 angled intake manifold bolt holes and the vortec heads which are totally diffrent. Make sure the block has the holes for all the sensors. One piece seal or not. Engines with one piece seal are externally balanced older ones are internally balanced. Your flex plate and harmonic balancer will not work between the two engines. What cam? Compression? Volumetric effeciency? If you vary too far your ECM will have a fit. Your truck was probably equipped with a roller cam and lifters. You do not want to give up the benefits of that.

another thing. If you swap between a roller cam and flat tappet you must change the distrubutor drive gear. The cams and gears are made of difftrent metals and will cause rapid wear if not properly matched.

On Sat, 13 May 2006 15:33:20 -0400, "David Johnson"

I have never had this problem and I do not know where you are geting it from. The only metal that is critical about needing to be different at times is stainless as it can gaul badly at times when like alloys are rubbed together. BTW, Ring and pinion gear sets have the same alloy in both parts of it. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately I do not have all the details of the older engine... guess I need to do a bit more research.
Thanks again everyone!
John F.
How are the valve covers bolted on the older engine? 4 around the perimeter or 3 through the top?

valve covers on my engine are through bolted... other engine is on the perimeter. I think I'm outta luck on an easy swap....
Thanks everybody for replying.

If you are willing to modify the TBI intake manifold, it will work. The 4 center bolts(2 per side) on the TBI intake are at a different angle than the bolt holes on the early heads. With a die grinder, time, and a careful hand, the manifold can be modified to fit the early heads.
Otherwise you can get an aftermarket Holley intake for the TBI and early heads(JEG'S pn. 510-300-49).

The roller cam engines use a bronze gear. A steel gear will wear the cam.

On Sat, 13 May 2006 15:22:01 -0400, "David Johnson"

Do not forget that the water pump on a serpentine belt runs opposite of older non sepentine models. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com