Head Gasket... main cause?

Just had a head gasket go in my '86 Silverado with 305 cu.in. I noticed a inconsistent miss ever since I bought it, and thought it might be a coolant leak. But it was barely noticeable, so wasn't sure.
I'm guessing it was over-heated before I got it... it only has roughly 97,000 original miles. How much does age have to do with head gaskets?
Thanks, GC
DEXCOOL Anti FREEZE is the problem!!!!!
That ORANGE antifreeze EATS GASKETS
GC wrote:

HE wouldnt have put DEXCOOL in a 1986 Chevy....Hopefully anyways.

Please substantiate that claim. Oh...and fix your shift key, while you're at it.
Dave
I asked Prestone,they said as long as you drain it first its ok to use either one , just NOT together.

No I don't use Dexcool... I'm "old school", so I use Peak or Sierra. I replaced the factory 2 row with after-market 4 row of the same design/style. BTW, never did like Presstone either.
Anyone have any other ideas about head gasket failure? This is the first one I've had, so I'm green to this...
Thanks all!

I've had a couple of 305's and never had a head gasket problem. They weren't powerhouses, but they were mostly trouble-free. If yours has overheated, you may have to have the heads trued a bit. Are you doing it yourself?
Dave
Yes Dave, thought about doing it myself... will be my first time with heads. Got any pointers?
Thanks, GC

I knew this had been covered before :)
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.trucks.chevy/browse_thread/thread/6320d90a7f8ea10b/ab49be5ea005e2e2%23ab49be5ea005e2e2?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=0&num=3
Dave

Draining is not good enough. It has to be thoroughly flushed from the system.
Dave
Hairy wrote:

The main cause of head gasket failure is not coolant type, it is the lack of it or overheating the engine which causes heads to warp slightly and distort gasket contact area.
--

www.thesnoman.com