Hi-test gas and hydrofuloric acid

Talked to a truck driver hauling hydrofluoric acid recently and he said their biggest customer was a local refinery who uses it in hi test(93 octane) gasoline. Wonder what that acid does for the gas? Is it a cleaner or does it provide anti knock performance? Any chemists here?

Reply to
Paul

It appears to be a cataylst to increase the octane in refined fuel.

Nasty stuff.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Yep, one here, but I've never heard of HF being used in the refining of gas, perhaps it's used a cleaning agent or, like Martin suggested, a cat.

That stuff will disolve glass, eat thru your skin right down to the bone, just the vapors can kill ya, not to mention it being a violent poison

Reply to
ken

Heh - I'm thinking that if it dissolves skin and bone - the poison factor at that stage will be pretty low. ;)

Reply to
John Craker