Re: Banger or classic? Acid test.

My current daily driver developed a slight squeal a couple of days

> ago. Probably the alternator belt, might just be something in the new > clutch. It's been raining or snowing, so I haven't got round to > looking. Shortly after I set off this morning, the noise stopped. > > Now, what would your reaction have been? > > "Oh good, it's cleared!"

That one...

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Had to grin at this !

We've been having sporadic snow showers over here on the South-West coast of Ireland. Shocked my '64 Morris Traveller so much that the windscreen wipers stopped in mid-wipe !

Was fearing the worst when my dear wife said - You've just filled up with petrol, so why's the fuel gauge on 'E' ?

Aha - fuse blown ! (There's only 2 in the Mog - this one does fuel gauge, horn, indicators, wipers)

Turned out the fuse hadn't actually blown - but the fuse 'wire' had parted company from one of the end-caps - very odd !

Luckily, the local car spares shop had a box-full of 1,25" glass fuses

- so all sorted now - about £1.50 including a few spares .

But, it made me think - I wonder if it's worthwhile attempting something a bit more 'modern' with the fusing arrangements - and adding a couple more fuses to save 'everything' from going at the same time. What would you do ??

Adrian - West Cork, Ireland

Reply to
Adrian

It would be a fairly major re-wire to add separate circuits for everything, but yes it would be a good idea. I'd also 'fuse' the circuits that currently aren't.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for the reply....

Actually, it might not be such a complicated thing - as the 35A fuse currently has three separate wires coming into it from the wiring loom

- so there's a fighting chance that each wire feeds a distinct 'device' (like horn, lights etc).

I had an old Honda motorbike many years ago - which had just the one fuse for 'everything'. Sadly, this meant that, when the headlamp dip-switch shorted out (usually in the rain!) you lost 'everything - and usually ended up in the hedge. Nasty !

On a warmer day I might have a look at where the loom goes - the Mog has an alternator 'retro-fitted' - so the redundant voltage regulator box could be removed - and the spare space be used for a multi-fuse-box.

Best to go with a modern box from the scrappie, do you think ? - or do you know anywhere that sells a fusebox that takes 'vintage' 1.25" fuses ??

I wouldn't have minded about it so much - but I've got a weekend away in Cork city at a show - and the weather doesn't look too kindly for the weekend.....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Fuses are for wimps. 1/4" copper bar doesn't give the same problems, and no British classic has wiring good enough to get hot enough to burn,

My DS has RHD wiring, which means it has eight fuses in two boxes. Unfortunately /nobody/ knows what they are supposed to do, officially, as no RHD wiring diagrams are available.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

- or at least, I hope you're joking.....

Sorry - don't know what a DS is - enlighten me ? True - it does help to know which fuse does what...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Heh. OK - that clears up which Adrian you are. Although not which Ian we are...

Ian Dalziel

Adrian (Adrian ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

He is not me. He is the anti-me.

Reply to
Adrian

Ah right - now I understand

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I'd go with a modern box that takes modern blade fuses - much more reliable. Have a look at

I fitted a pair of FBB8Ts in my VW to replace the nasty old fuseboxrecently. My Minis will be getting similar treatment in the near future!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Ah - that looks interesting...... many thanks.....

One for the summer months, though - bit chilly under the carport tonight !

Crazy thing about this particular 'dodgy-fuse' problems was that I had a similar thing happen in the summer. Took the offending fuse out, cleaned up the brass 'fingers' with some fine abrasive paper, put it back in - and it ran perfectly until today...

I guess the 'blade' fuses seem to be made all in one piece - so the end-caps can't come off ?

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Two hundred feet of hydraulic piping and a rats nest of ill tempered French electrics designed (I presume) by a man whose wife had run off with a mechanic.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Never used to be a problem when milk bottles had metal tops....

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

But those cardboard disk top were a problem :)

Reply to
Rob.