acid etch primer on a series

i have a wing that isnt that bad, just a few stone chips ( chipped to the alli) im re-painting it so obviously the chips need rubbing down, but then they need etchi primering, so my question to the guys who know is,,can i prime over paintwork?

cheers

andy

Reply to
Andy

Most of the zinc chromate based primers are okay over existing paintwork. The main problem is with a reaction between the solvent used in the primer and the existing paintwork (which on an old series could be almost anything). Either find a good paint supplier who can recommend a product that won't react, or use the trial & error method. I'd only spot prime the bare areas with the etch primer then give the whole thing a good coat of hi-build primer/surfacer before rubbing back.

Reply to
EMB

im putting celly ontop of land rovers paint,( in theory )

Reply to
Andy

Depends on what paint is on the bodywork to start with. Some paint types don't mix. Ask for an etch primer which will also act as a blocker.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Let me know what primer you use... and where you can get it.

I've had to completely replace my reay floor in my series 3. I had to cut out the old floor with an angle grinder as even though all the rivets had been drilled through the old floor is glued around the edge. had to get a sheet of ally cut to right size so needs to be painted.

Ade

Reply to
Adrian Jenkinson

There's a special metals primer in the Hammerite range. Makes paint stick well to alloy or galvanised, but how it would work with conventional automotive paints, I'm not sure. Halfords and all the other usual suspects.

Reply to
David G. Bell