How long could a Chevy 2500 truck last?

So, I bought this new Chevy 2500HD truck. I plan on keeping it outside. Does anyone know how long it could last, under moderate use (small commute, occasional towing, regular maintenance)... Any thoughts?

Until you can no longer obtain repair parts...A neighbor still uses his 1946 Ford Coupe that he bought brand new...it's his daily driver. He has had it repainted once and overhauled the engine once.

They were built a lot simpler than and a lot less to go wrong with them too as well as they were generally over built as well. There is a lot to go wrong with a modern truck and it gets worse every year so it will not age as gracefully. I have had more trouble with my 2000 K3500 old style since new by far than a did with the 79 J20 jeep P/U it replaced which still runs too. As to what life expectancy to plan on it is hard to say. The major mechanical parts should last 10 to 15 years (engine,tranny, axles and such) with no abuse and good maintainance but it is all the electrical controls that will be your biggest headache with time. If you lift it and install oversized tires you will shorten the life of drivetrain and front end parts some. How much depends on what you do and how you use it. Keep it 100% stock if max life span is your goal. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
The term is "not economical to repair". I never used to concern myself. You hear my papa talk, that 1971 is junk, where's my 66 F-150? I had to age a few decades and trade off my 1991 F-150 to understand that wise man.
If I must stay on-topic, 10 years easy and 20 years is no problem with maintenance. You'll need regular maintenance; brakes, transmission replacement and radiator every 12 years or so. My yard man just priced his replacement pickup at $50k. Guess my yardwork isn't getting any cheaper in the next few years. That $4k transmission is looking better when the replacement truck is $50k. Can anyone guess the price of a replacement truck in 10 or 20 years?

Always glad to meet a man than changes vehicles instead of doing maintenance.

Diesel ? It's hard to tell what a new truck might do... Our 1992 GMC has over 280,000 miles on original drive train. Only thing replaced in drive train was pinion seal in rear, intake gasket and valve cover gasket on engine, injectors. Trans and transfer case untouched. Our 1989 has over 250,000 replaced the manual trans with a auto because the input bearing went on it and we wanted to plow with it, engine untouched, rear untouched. Just do the maintenance on it...
Until the last payment is made and it is your responsibility to fix it. I base this on life experience with all vehicles Chrysler corporation being the worst ford second with Chevy on the tail end

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 10:13:51 GMT, Larry and a Cat named Dub

That exactly was my experience with Chrysler corporation.