How long will my transmission last??

Have a 96 Chevy P/U, 4.3liter V6 automatic transmission. Currently has

212,000 miles on it. Had the transmission fluid/filter changed at about 100,000 and 150,000. Now due again.

Anyone know the approximate life of the transmission?

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
buickman

Mike Levy

Reply to
wp23

Biggest factors in determining the life of the transmission are: a) Driver (BIG FACTOR) b) Use (Plowing Snow? or light rural driving?). c) Use of auxiliary transmission cooler.

If you keep the tranny cool & the fluid fresh it "can" last as long or longer than the engine. If you let your niece plow snow with it and go "cruising" in it. Perhaps not quite so long....

Tell us how long your brake pads last, that will give us a ballpark idea of how long the tranny will last.

Reply to
Full_Name

Hi,

That's quite a few miles. You might consider having your trans rebuilt by a good shop before something breaks. It might go 250,000 or more, you never know.

Reply to
Scott

my 95 astro van 4.3L V6 had to have the tranny rebuilt at 270,000km. There was contamination in the tranny, probably from the rad coolant getting into the trans oil cooler. When the previous owner fixed the rad, didn't service the tranny.

Reply to
Rick De Visser

Is that a full size truck? Or the S-10? Just baby it and keep servicing it, and it could last another 100K miles. It's mostly a function of how you treat the truck. I've known some dudes who could break a tranny in 75K miles, then sit back, scratching their fool heads wondering: "how could GM (or Dodge, Ford) build such a piece of shit?"

Reply to
Justin

Yes Justin it's a full size truck. I'm actually pretty hard on it, have the tickets to prove it. Lot's of in town driving, Dallas. I do put a lot of highway mileage on it also. About 40K miles per year.

I've pretty much decided to drive it till it drops. I will change the fluid periodically.

Reply to
Jeff & Carol

Don't know the answer on this one (and I'm married to a Mr Goodwrench), but my 1994 Chevy Lumina mini-van is on trans #5 a

250,000 miles (not quite a Timex watch but it has definitely taken licking and keeps on ticking - barely)

-- CalDreaming0

Veteran's spouse with 4 teenagers. If I can survive that craziness -

can do ANYTHING!Trackpads.com! Community Forums, Gallery, more! 150,000 Photos,

3,000 Videos and growing!
CalDreaming02

Most of my trans guys have always said they expect 200,000 out of

trans. Now this is very dependant on how you drive, do you tow trailer, live where its hot or dusty etc. there are so many variables We recommend trans services at 30,000. seem to work out good.

And Yes, LOL, my wife has driven through 5 transmissions in 250,00 miles but that was more to do with a bad factory subconntracte rebuilder using a bad core

-- Bun Bu

born in 59 grew up in Arcadia Ca. served in the army from Dec 79 to Ja

84 worked for a number of security companies filling posiotions fro guard to manager. Became a electronics technician for GM in 95. Married to an outstanding person and gotTrackpads.com! Community Forums, Gallery, more! 150,000 Photos, 3,000 Videos and growing!
Bun Bun

I have no idea, and I was wondering the same thing. Back in 1998 (or close to that time) I purchased a 1993 GMC Safari van with something like 30 thousand miles on it. I had all of the maintenance done, including trans fluid & filter. The transmission started slipping really bad. I'd put it in gear, step on the gas and the engine would race with hardly any movement from the van. I contacted a GMC dealer per the used car dealer's instrucions (the van came with an extended warrenty, but not from GMC). When I found out that the GMC dealer would not honor the warranty, I had the van taken to a transmission shop which would. As it turned out, something having to do with the planitary gears fell apart. The warranty covered all except around $200 of the repair bill. I have changed my fluid a couple times since (my pan has a drain plug), but now I am unable to remove the pan because I cannot get my socket wrench in to reach the rear bolts. The rubber mount seems to be in the way.

TeleDale Key Service,

1811 Saratoga Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44109 U.S.A.

Reply to
TeleDale