How to replace the electric window motor in a 93 Jimmy

Hi, Just a bit of advice from personal experience. The window motor in my 93 S-15 Jimmy needed replacement. I bought the replacement motor from a dealer. The enclosed instructions, along with the (pretty worthless) Chilton manual were not adequate. The instructions are to use a bolt to retain the section gear before removal. This is virtually impossible, since the entire assembly is inside of the door, and it is not possible to even look at the assembly, much less install a bolt. The good news is that the assembly comes out as one piece, and the procedure can be performed easily on a bench. When I bought the replacement motor, I also bought four of the quarter-inch rivets from the dealer. I highly recommend this. The other necessary item is a very large rivet gun, as standard guns are usually limited to 3/16 inch rivets or less. I bought one at Harbor Freight for less than $20. It was more than up to the task, and had a sampling of rivets included. First, remove the interior door panels, per the instructions. It's a good idea to use a tool to pull out the plastic fasteners. A screwdriver is not adequate. The tool looks like a small spatuala with a vee shaped end. Have the window glass all or most of the way up, and tape it to the interior window frame with duct tape to support it. Remove the two 10mm bolts that hold the track to the window glass. Disconnect the electrical connector from the motor. From here, just use a punch to punch out the center of all four of the rivets that retain the window regulator assembly. The whole assembly is inside the door, so all you can see is the arm that has the wheel/bushing that normally rides in the window track. After punching out the center of the four rivets, drill out the rivets. The whole assembly can then be removed. Put the assembly on the bench. THEN, you can use a bolt, nut and washers to retain the sector gear, as indicated in the instructions. Once the gear is retained, drill out the 3 rivets that attach the motor to the bracket. Remove the motor and rivet the new motor to the bracket with three new rivets. I used some of the rivets that came with the rivet gun. Remove the bolt that was used to retain the sector gear. Now the assembly is ready to put back in. Put it back inside the door. Use the 1/4" rivets to fasten it back in place. Put the track back on the window with the 10mm bolts, with the drive arm and pulley riding in the track. Remove the duct tape and plug in the power connector. It took me about half a day to do this, plus about four trips for parts and tools as I got into the job. I think I could do it in about an hour now. Hope it helps someone else.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
FlyWithTwo

A real factory service book would have told you that the window regulator has to come out to replace the motor. That is the way it is on most vehicles. I just replaced the passenger side motor on my 95 van. Took about 45 minutes.

Reply to
Steve W.

did both motors on an 85 Jimmy a while back...didn't need to replace the rivets, but the job was major headache with lots of swearing, scrapes and getting rather pissed off at the whole crappy window design..K

Reply to
ken