Power window motor replace

how difficult is it to replace the power window motor on a 1988 Ford F-150 pickup ? anyone know where I can find step by step instructions ??

--

---------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@analon.com +

[UNIX/X-Windows & CDE] 888-5-ANALON ...Chemistry, Computer systems, software & networks that WORK! .....Send ASCII TEXT mail/attchmnts ONLY!!** I use UNIX & LINUX!! ..*****...Chickens & fresh Brown natural Eggs too! *****...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to
johnam ron

Well, if its anything like my friends 90 GT mustang you just remove the door panel, pull back the forward portion of the door panel clear plastic sheet, remove the lower speaker in the door, motor was located close to the front of the door closest to the door hinges, remove the three bolts holding the motor in while holding it through the speaker hole so it does not fall down, reach in through the speaker hole, remove motor, disconnect the wires from the plug because the plug would not fit through the door panel where the connector was, run down to Pep Boys with $40 and the old motor, reverse the steps to install. I thought it was rather easy. The dealer(Ford) wants $215 for a new motor. I'll pass, these motors generally only need new brushes installed on the armature, but also sometimes worm drive gear assemblies. So a rebuilt from PepBoys seemed adequate and a good savings to boot.

Post back here if you need further instructions, I'd like to help if I can. Ty

Reply to
Tyrone Jackson

Assuming it is like the 1991, remove the door panel, drill out the 4 rivets, remove motor/actuator arm while supporting the window. If it is just the gears that are bad, buy a rebuild kit at your Ford dealer/parts supply house. Get the four 1/4" rivets too. The rivets will require an industrial strength rivet gun as most home models only go to 3/16". In a pinch you could use bolts/washers/nuts but there is a clearance issue behind at least one of the fasteners and it's kinda difficult to get to.

Or you can get 3/16" large head (~1/2") pop rivets. I got mine at Ace Hardware, part # ACE 2014405. They are called "snowmobile" rivets. Use backing washers on the inside because the 3/16' rivet may not mushroom enough to hold.

Lucky for me I have a neighbor who runs an "auto glass" biz out of his home shop, I borrowed his rivet gun.

Plan on bloody knuckles, there are lots of sharp thingies inside the door, not much room. Three hands will make the reinstall go a bit easier.

DJ

Reply to
DJ