leaf springs

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know if adding an extra leaf is the way to lift my box an inch or two? The torsion bars have been tweaked to raise the truck and the front is higher by an inch or two. No other lift stuff that I
can see but it really bugs me that it isn't level.
Thanks, Hatt
yeah adding a leaf wii raise it a little not sure how much with a box on it though

box on

If its not the 1 - 2" that it will take to get it level, I hope they don't do it without telling me first. I think for a little more, I could have them all replaced with new.
Hatt
you could have them all replaced with new but it still might not be level without adding one for some reason manufacture allow you to raise the front but leaves the back still sitting low meaning if you raplace the leafs with new your just resetting the rear to manufacture specs and the specs dont have the bars tweeked up in front a good shop who does this should know how high they can get it have them garrentee that with one they will be able to level it which leaves them in a verbal contract that they have to comply with or return the truck back to where it was my brother works at a body shop where his boss said they would do one thing and it didnt happened and they thought oh well untill the guy sued them.Ive done many body and suspension lifts before but raised the whole truck havent leveled it out before personally but have seen it where the bars were tweeked all the way and they added only a leaf and it leveled out just fine.
if you add a leaf spring, then add an OEM spring, not an "add-a-leaf" or you'll be kicking yourself if you ever put a good heavy load on it. Put in a full length GM spring that you can get at a junk yard or something like that.
Snowman

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:42:19 -0400, "Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote:

You could re arch the springs you have now. take them out and take them apart and get your self a pice of C chanel place it on the ground with the flat side down and put the leaf across it and tap the spring from end to end not to hard turn it around and do it again them do the next one If your not care full you could put so much ark in them you wont be able to put them back in If you want a inch lift just re ark them 1/4 inch if you re ark them all 1 inch you will have a like a 3 inch lift when you put them back together also you may need a slightly longer main leaf depending how much you ark them good luck!

box an

truck
that I

chanel
across
and
Sounds like a Blacksmithing trick. I've worked with spring steel before but was never able to get it to hold any shape or length I wanted. Worth reading up on if you can find it I guess. I sure don't think you can heat them to any appreciable degree without loosing "spring." I really doubt the spring could be rejuvenated in old springs. Once its gone, its gone I believe. But I don't make that claim with certainty.
Hatt
. Re: leaf springs Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Sep 29, 2003, 1:33pm (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John) You could re arch the springs you have now. take them out and take them apart and get your self a pice of C chanel place it on the ground with the flat side down and put the leaf across it and tap the spring from end to end not to hard turn it around and do it again them do the next one If your not care full you could put so much ark in them you wont be able to put them back in If you want a inch lift just re ark them 1/4 inch if you re ark them all 1 inch you will have a like a 3 inch lift when you put them back together also you may need a slightly longer main leaf depending how much you ark them good luck! ------------------------------------- John, you duh man.
Scrib Abell -------------
"Snowman" <somethingorotherdotcom> wrote in message

"add-a-leaf" or

Put in

like
I wondered about this too, glad you mentioned it. It must be the reason for differences in the prices I've found. I better call the guy back that I ordered today from, cause he said he could get me the add in spring for $45 pc., and install them for $45 pc. That sounded pretty good considering other price ranges were from a total of $350 to $450. As far as I know, these are not the kind of springs that attach on the outside of the leaf spring cluster. It goes right in with the rest of them, and I can't think of any reason why it wouldnt' be as tough as an OEM spring though. I'll see what he says.
Hatt
Do yourself a favor and go to your local spring shop and ask them. They probably deal with this all the time. They may even have some new shackles that will bring the back up. Had a buddy of mine do the same thing as you cranked up the front and then brought up the rears but I don't recall exactly how, but I know it wasn't with new springs. I think he used new shackles. If you cranked the front up that high you might want to spend the $35 for an alignment. Good Luck JRE

They
shackles
as you

recall
new
$35 for an

Thanks JRE, I hear ya. I'm double checking trying to get consensus before I act, and you have been very helpful, it checks out as far as i can see!
Hatt
Whats the problem with using a a couple lifting blocks that are meant to raise the rear like this? They're cheap too. Just a couple blocks and longer u-bolts.
Brandonb
DJ Hatt wrote:

Re: leaf springs Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 11:40am From: snipped-for-privacy@NO.SPAM.netins.net (BrandonBuckner) Whats the problem with using a a couple lifting blocks that are meant to raise the rear like this? They're cheap too. Just a couple blocks and longer u-bolts.
Brandonb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
because his body lines wouldn't match up with the cab
Scribs Abell (are you)
(Brandon Buckner) Whats the problem with using a a couple lifting blocks that are meant to raise the rear like this? They're cheap too. Just a couple blocks and longer u-bolts.
Brandonb
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
because his body lines wouldn't match up with the cab
Scribs Abell (are you)
Uhhh.... Since when did lift blocks screw up body lines?? Ah, you mean body lift blocks. Who uses those anyway?
here's a novel thought.... why not just let off on the torsion bar adjusters and drop the front until it's level? best solution of all... suspension operates as designed and it's free. -Bret
(Brandon Buckner)

adjusters
suspension
Very able reply Bret. I've talked about this with those I've checked with too. As I know I've said, at least once, somewhere! I didn't raise the torsion bars, but even though I didn't, I doubt they aren't intended to be raised, or they wouldn't be raisable, would they? [Trying to make sense out of GM anymore has become a lost cause]. I know its perfect sense, [for them]. But, not knowing for sure, I bought the thing that way. I didn't notice that it wasn't intended to be that way I "just wanted it." I learned all I did wrong as I go, as usual. You see, its my first 4wd, because its the first time I've ever really needed one. I'm glad to have gotten this first hand experience however, even though its nearly "broke" me. Can't say its really anyones fault but mine. You know, the "buyer beware thing?" Also note that, as I thought I said too, the tires are not stock size, and weren't when I bought the thing. I din't know, and I should have been more attentive. Well, anyway, I put 5 new Bridgestones on it at a cost of $600.00 the same size, and now I suppose I'm screwed. My fault again. I'm just trying to adjust, and really am appreciative of all the help.
Hatt
No they are adjustable to set correct ride height, not to raise the vehicle. Oh and you had better hope that the front end alignment has been reset or you will find out the other reason you don't just jack up the truck with the torsion bars (the alignment and steering geometry get thrown off) it chews up tires real fast. I can't help you with the tire size BUT the correct size is on a sticker on the drivers door, and on the tag in the glove compartment.
Steve W.

up
get
tire
on
[snip]
I bought the thing with the torsion bars tweaked up. I've noticed no abnormal wear on the tires in 6 months. Not a hell of a lot of miles, but enough, since its been in the shop for most of that time.
However, I just had the front end lowered one inch. The truck looks much better, [as to the way it sets]. Just before doing this, I also installed $600 worth of tires. After lowering the front, I was told it would not necessarily change the alignment. I was told to note how it drove. Did it pull to one side, etc.? I think I will go have the alignment checked and aligned if necessary. But to tell you the truth, I don't know who I should trust to do this. It looks to me, [viewing truck from front], that tires "seem" to be "in" more at the bottom. You know? the angle of the tires seem to form a general "V" shape looking at them from this angle, [with the tighter part of the "V" being at the road]. I believe this is the way it should be, but I don't know whether its too much.
Hatt
Scribs Abell (are you) ............................................. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (highrider71) sputters out.......
Uhhh.... Since when did lift blocks screw up body lines??
Ah, you mean body lift blocks.
Who uses those anyway? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Since they were invented.
Yes, I wuz uh refer'n to body lift blocks
I do.
Scrib Abell ~~random answers to random questions~~