Re: Grinding leaf springs

Whoa, Dan!! You gotta fix this problem right away or you might get a big surprise. Don't grind any material from your leaf springs. This is a REALLY bad idea. You need to make the appropriate suspension adjustments to match your presumably oversized tires. Each component you change on a vehicle affects other components and tires are a great example of this maxim. Good luck. jor

My tires rub on extreme turns and it looks like if I grind about 1/4-1/2 > inch from the leaf springs where it's rubbing will fix the problem. Is > there any harm in doing this? Has anyone else done this? > > Thanks, > Dan > >
Reply to
jor

Maybe somebody can give this a 'sanity check', but, perhaps a small spacer (1/4" or less) between the wheel and the hub will give you the necessary clearance. Spacers are available at wheel shops. They fit over the lug bolts.

: > Thanks, : > Dan : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Mellowed

Sorry Jor, I should have attached this to Dan's post.

1/4-1/2 : : > inch from the leaf springs where it's rubbing will fix the problem. Is : : > there any harm in doing this? Has anyone else done this? : : >

: : > Thanks, : : > Dan : : >

: : >

: : : : : :

Reply to
Mellowed

Why not just put the proper wheels and tires on? JEEEZE!!!

Reply to
Steve Barker

Because looks is more important than funtion to most people, always has been and seems it always will be. :(

I had the other "problem" my 235/85-16's weren't that close so I ground down the lug that stopped them from turning sharper.

Then I wanted -more- and did something that is -really- kooky. ;) Man but does it turn nice and sharp now. :) ('75 2 wheel drive)

Alvin in AZ ps- can you tell I'm an old aircooled VW guy?

Reply to
alvinj

What fun would that be. :)

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Don't grind your leaf springs! The over-size tires are going to cut down on the turning radius your choices are live with it or lift the truck higher. Depending on the year my old F-250 had a stop that is hit against, you could try adding something that would limit the steering just before it hits.

Jimmy

Reply to
James Gillespie

Dude - go out and buy wheels with the correct offset. Not only are you f____g your springs, tires, etc, but also yoru handling.

Reply to
Don

I don't know what kind of truck we're talking about, but on my old 1990 F150 I added some washers to the mechanical steering stops so that the tires wouldn't hit. The stop was just screwed in, so it was an easy fix.

Reply to
Harald