Looking for a jump start pack that would have a ...........

capability of cigarette lighter "jump start" As in one of the jumps tart packs that plug into the cigarette lighter to jump start the vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Reply to
daytona

There is no such thing. H

Reply to
Hairy

They do exist. As to whether or not they work, that is diffeerent story. I have never read anything good about them.

Reply to
Retiredff

Try running enough amperage thru the cigarette lighter to operate the starter and see what happens. You can recharge the battery pack thru the lighter socket, but not start a vehicle with a dead battery thru it. H

Reply to
Hairy

As Retiredff said, there are devices out there, but how well they work is a different story. I saw some on a Consumer's Reports type newscast once. They took one apart and it was literally about 40 AA nicads soldered in groups, and naturally it couldn't jump a completely dead battery. I wouldn't trust one.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Most cigarette lighters are on a 15 amp fuse. I'm quite sure that you can't start a car with only 15 amps! The fuse WILL blow!

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

RE/

If it's feasible, I'd favor an extra battery under the hood.

Think about where you would store that jump start pack, then heft it, and then think about it flying around the cab in a minor collision.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Not feasible what so ever!! As others have said the best you could do is recharge a battery over several hours. The most you could get though a cigarette lighter is about 30 amperes. You need hundreds of amperes to run the starter motor. The only jump start pack that works is one that hooks directly to the battery connections.

Such as:

HRL

Not if the little power pack can't supply 15 amps to begin with... ;o)

As stated, they ARE available, but they won't jump a completely dead battery and possibly not even a weak one.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

With only 15 amps your not going to crank over a lawn mower! If they are available they are only to sell to suckers that would buy an unusable product. I can market anything I want and call it what I want. But it doesn't mean it will work. Go ahead buy one, it's not my money.

Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

Umm... No need to argue, I never said I'd buy one or that I'm even in the market for one. I just said that they are indeed out there. Whether they work or not (likely not) is another story.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

You are wrong. They are not "out there". The OP asked for a "jump start pack that would have the CAPABILITY of cigarette lighter jump start". Such an item does not exist. You can't successfully push 350 amps through a 15 amp circuit and have it survive. H

Reply to
Hairy

Now you're just playing with semantics, a total waste of time.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Maybe this is what the OP is looking for???

Dave

Reply to
dcbryan

I just can't believe how long this thread is for something so stupid. They are "out there" and here's another!

Reply to
George

Come on guys!!! Think about what you are saying since this is basic electronics. The *SOLE* purpose of this type of device is to plug it in to the cigarette lighter and supply ample current to *charge* the drained car battery. It is *NOT* designed to be a set of jumper cables and will not work as such. These types of devices do work well if used like any other battery charger. Another words, it needs ample time to provide enough charge to the main battery. Keep in mind that if your car battery is shot this device o a battery charger will not work.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

I really appreciate all the input. After reading all of the posts..........I do realize that a vehicle could not actually be "jump" started because of the amperage. But the plug in battery charger through the lighter is what I had in mind. And to actually start a dead battery vehicle. I see where they can charge a dead battery but not start on the spot. Some time has to be involved.

Story being: I have a battery pack bought for by a friend a few years ago, which has come in handy a few needed times. But the last time was that I was working out of the back of my full size van Saturday for many hours. Decided to run up to store before leaving to drag my boat to the bay. Got in the van and the battery was dead.............no doubt do tot he door being opened all day working out of the tool boxes. So, I grabbed my trusty battery pack and tried to jump start the van.(in the dark) with a flashlight braced in the shoulder/neck area and tried to finagle the short leads with jumper like clamps onto the impossible to reach posts for about ten minutes.........when I finally said enough with all the shit and got my battery charger with the little clamps and had to wait about 15 minutes to charge the battery and start the van. SO that started the quest for a battery pack to jump start through the lighter. All of your inputs have given me an idea: a battery pack with one the charge your battery through the lighter deals. This way you have to have another vehicle..

Thanks very much for all the inputs........and I didn't see any arguing.....just serious inputs :o)

Reply to
daytona

Well, most of us can't believe how "stupid" people like you are, to be taken in by what some manufacturer of a product decides to "call" their product! Neither one of the products that were linked, will in any way "boost" a car the way that booster cables will. All they do is "charge" the battery through the cig lighter.

Hello, you "cannot" jump start a vehicle thru the cig lighter....end of story.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

LOL

Enuff said!

Refinish King

PS I'll take two hundred amps through a twelve gauge wire, and I'd like to see the smoke and smell the rubber melt>

Reply to
Refinish King

This is exactly what I did in my XJ and what I will do in my Blazer once I have the SAS done.

I've got two batteries under the hood, isolated, with a starter relay between them as well . If the main battery dies, I flip a toggle and crank off the other battery. Of course the other battery runs all my aux lights, winch, and so on.

And cargo should ALWAYS be tied down.

Reply to
nooneyouknow