Battery pack jump starters

I've got a DB Power DJS30 and although I've thankfully never had to use it yet, Sod's Law dictates that it'll be a wet and windy night if or
when I do need it.
I have a Lexus RX450h hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the floor panel in the boot. Given that my wife's mobility scooter lives in the boot as well, it'll be a major undertaking on a cold, wet night to empty the boot and get to the battery if I ever need to, so I intend to use a pair of eyelet connectors permanently connected to the battery and run the cables to a more easily accesible point so that I can easily plug in the battery pack when needed.
Link to photos:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/145355770@N06/5s8n28
My questions are:
1. Am I right in thinking that the connector is known as an Anderson Powerpole connector? (sorry for the blurred photo)
2. Does anyone know what the red box arrowed in the second photo does and/or what it contains? Do I need one or will it be alright to just run a positive and negative wire from the battery to a female Powerpole connector (if that's what it is) without that red box?

I don't know that specific car but... other hybrid vehicles I've used that have the 12V conventional lead acid battery buried under the floors of trunks (US...) and hatchbacks, also...
... also have cable post "appearances" under the main (front) engine hood specifically to make jump starting easier.
You might want to see if that's the case with yours.
Good luck.
On 22/11/2018 05:15, danny burstein wrote:

Our Outlander Hybrid has that arrangement- 12V battery in boot, 'jump start' point under bonnet. I've not needed to use it.
On the Outlander, the jump start is just to power electronics, it doesn't power a starter motor, so the current required is quite small.
If the car isn't driven for 24hrs (I think), the car automatically tops up the 12V battery at 2pm each day from the drive battery. Having left our car parked, not on charge but charged, for a month, the main battery still showed full charge and it powered up no problem. (Nearly a year old at the time.)
--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

Apparently, there is a jumpstart terminal under the bonnet. Perhaps RTM?
On 22/11/2018 06:14, Richard wrote:

On a neighbours car (not hybrid) the battery was not easily accessible being under a cover under the passenger seat but there was a jumpstart terminal under the bonnet to accept the positive lead. The terminal had a removable plastic cover. The negative lead had to be connected to the engine or conductive part of the chassis, Just make sure before that you have to use a jump-start box in anger that the short leads that come with it can reach a negative connection on the engine or chassis.
The red box - youtube video tear-down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
zghvQZYNM
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

What I'd expect if the battery is inaccessible. BWM have had jump start terminals under the bonnet for years.
--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

Sods law it will have lost charge because you haven't had it out to top-up charge it every 3 to 6 months.
I've only used mine once on a neighbours' car where the battery had been run totally flat. I was surprised how well it worked. Connected up my box, waited a few minutes and the car started immediately on the first turn of the key. The lights were still on!

BigClive and his youtube videos is the way to go.......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
zghvQZYNM
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

If the car is in vaguely regular use then it is extremely unlikely that the 12v computer battery will ever go really flat until it is really old (think ten years). That battery gets charged from the hybrid battery.

You sure about that? I managed to kill the 12v 'starter' battery in a mkII Prius. (I know it's not really a starter and just powers up the ECU)
--
Steve H

On 22/11/2018 22:39, Steve H wrote:

the most likely would be leaving parking lights on, or some sort of parasitic load (dashcam, phone charger etc.)

Nothing plugged in at all. It was only a couple of years old, with about 30k miles on it and still under warranty.
Never found out what caused it - all I can say was it was parked up for nearly 3 weeks whilst I was working from home and then on holiday.
The hybrid was also flat, but then it was down to virtually nothing when I parked it and they should have a lot of reserve left even if you do that.
(I'm going back to Toyota / Lexus hybrid in 2020, by the looks of things - probably an ES300h)
--
Steve H

On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

There is a jump start point under the bonnet, in the fuse box on the right as you look in the bonnet, there is a flip up red plastic lid marked with a plus sign, negative can go to any convenient metal bit.
On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

And: if the boot battery is flat, the tailgate release won't work.

The 12V battery in an RX450h isn't used for starting the car. The HV battery does that.
You do need the 12v battery to power up the car's electronics, but I doubt that needs much current.
On 22/11/2018 09:03, Caecilius wrote:

it doesn't but people do cause them to get low, once below a certain voltage the relays drop out and nothing works.

No actual usefulness in this post, but: I thought that the easy way out was to connect the powerpack to the cigarette lighter. This is quick and easy to get to, but limits the current to what the fuse (20A?) will allow, time considered. So the powerpacks get connected to the CL jack, and left there for ten minutes, and this boosts the 12 V battery so the it can start the car (100s of amps, at least on conventional engines).
The AAA man has a different powerpack, with small batteries that can deliver 100s of amps, and that might burn out the fuse if attached to the CL rather than the battery poles. These packs contain individual lead-acid cells, I think.
Thomas Prufer
On 22/11/2018 09:07, Thomas Prufer wrote:

many cigar lighters are inoperative with the ignition off, and a flat battery means that the protection relays drop out and nothing goes anywhere.
On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

It's a diode pack to prevent the alternator (possibly) overcharging the battery pack when the engine starts.
Described by Big Clive in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
zghvQZYNM
On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

They are standard connectors, I have bought a few (there is also a smaller version, usually blue) to make up dedicated connections for convenience.
I *guess* the red box could be a fuse, or possibly a thermal cutout. Probably *not* a diode to protect against reverse connection (but I could be wrong)
On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

One thing to watch, the car manual will probably tell you not to try to jump start it (my Honda Jazz hybrid says the same). However I have done it once, but it did upset the alarm system. Can't quite remember the details, IIRC I had to leave the engine running for a bit either with the door open or the door closed, otherwise the alarm would sound. It sorted itself out after a few minutes.