Battery pack jump starters

I've got a DB Power DJS30 and although I've thankfully never had to use it yet, Sod's Law dictates that it'll be a wet and windy night if or when I do need it.

I have a Lexus RX450h hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the floor panel in the boot. Given that my wife's mobility scooter lives in the boot as well, it'll be a major undertaking on a cold, wet night to empty the boot and get to the battery if I ever need to, so I intend to use a pair of eyelet connectors permanently connected to the battery and run the cables to a more easily accesible point so that I can easily plug in the battery pack when needed.

Link to photos:

My questions are:

  1. Am I right in thinking that the connector is known as an Anderson Powerpole connector? (sorry for the blurred photo)

  1. Does anyone know what the red box arrowed in the second photo does and/or what it contains? Do I need one or will it be alright to just run a positive and negative wire from the battery to a female Powerpole connector (if that's what it is) without that red box?

Reply to
Pete Zahut

I don't know that specific car but... other hybrid vehicles I've used that have the 12V conventional lead acid battery buried under the floors of trunks (US...) and hatchbacks, also...

... also have cable post "appearances" under the main (front) engine hood specifically to make jump starting easier.

You might want to see if that's the case with yours.

Good luck.

Reply to
danny burstein

Apparently, there is a jumpstart terminal under the bonnet. Perhaps RTM?

Reply to
Richard

Sods law it will have lost charge because you haven't had it out to top-up charge it every 3 to 6 months.

I've only used mine once on a neighbours' car where the battery had been run totally flat. I was surprised how well it worked. Connected up my box, waited a few minutes and the car started immediately on the first turn of the key. The lights were still on!

BigClive and his youtube videos is the way to go.......

alan_m

On a neighbours car (not hybrid) the battery was not easily accessible being under a cover under the passenger seat but there was a jumpstart terminal under the bonnet to accept the positive lead. The terminal had a removable plastic cover. The negative lead had to be connected to the engine or conductive part of the chassis, Just make sure before that you have to use a jump-start box in anger that the short leads that come with it can reach a negative connection on the engine or chassis.

The red box - youtube video tear-down

alan_m

If the car is in vaguely regular use then it is extremely unlikely that the 12v computer battery will ever go really flat until it is really old (think ten years). That battery gets charged from the hybrid battery.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Our Outlander Hybrid has that arrangement- 12V battery in boot, 'jump start' point under bonnet. I've not needed to use it.

On the Outlander, the jump start is just to power electronics, it doesn't power a starter motor, so the current required is quite small.

If the car isn't driven for 24hrs (I think), the car automatically tops up the 12V battery at 2pm each day from the drive battery. Having left our car parked, not on charge but charged, for a month, the main battery still showed full charge and it powered up no problem. (Nearly a year old at the time.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

There is a jump start point under the bonnet, in the fuse box on the right as you look in the bonnet, there is a flip up red plastic lid marked with a plus sign, negative can go to any convenient metal bit.

Reply to
MrCheerful

And: if the boot battery is flat, the tailgate release won't work.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The 12V battery in an RX450h isn't used for starting the car. The HV battery does that.

You do need the 12v battery to power up the car's electronics, but I doubt that needs much current.

Reply to
Caecilius

No actual usefulness in this post, but: I thought that the easy way out was to connect the powerpack to the cigarette lighter. This is quick and easy to get to, but limits the current to what the fuse (20A?) will allow, time considered. So the powerpacks get connected to the CL jack, and left there for ten minutes, and this boosts the 12 V battery so the it can start the car (100s of amps, at least on conventional engines).

The AAA man has a different powerpack, with small batteries that can deliver

100s of amps, and that might burn out the fuse if attached to the CL rather than the battery poles. These packs contain individual lead-acid cells, I think.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

It's a diode pack to prevent the alternator (possibly) overcharging the battery pack when the engine starts.

Described by Big Clive in

Mike Clarke

They are standard connectors, I have bought a few (there is also a smaller version, usually blue) to make up dedicated connections for convenience.

I *guess* the red box could be a fuse, or possibly a thermal cutout. Probably *not* a diode to protect against reverse connection (but I could be wrong)

Reply to
newshound

One thing to watch, the car manual will probably tell you not to try to jump start it (my Honda Jazz hybrid says the same). However I have done it once, but it did upset the alarm system. Can't quite remember the details, IIRC I had to leave the engine running for a bit either with the door open or the door closed, otherwise the alarm would sound. It sorted itself out after a few minutes.

Reply to
newshound

What I'd expect if the battery is inaccessible. BWM have had jump start terminals under the bonnet for years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks for your replies folks, much appreciated.

I just wanted to say that I did already know that there's a dedicated 'jump start terminal' in the engine bay fusebox but when you lift the bonnet there is almost nothing to see because there are big plastic covers fitted. I would have to take out six or more tiny plastic clips, which I would no doubt break or drop, never to be seen again, to remove the cover to get at the fusebox. On a cold, wet, windy night, that's not much better than going directly to the battery in the boot. My idea is to have a plug and socket arrangement somewhere unobtrusive in the cabin so that I can stay dry.

Thomas Prufer's idea of using the cigarette lighter is a good one but unfortunately not on a Lexus. The lighter is only live when the ignition is on so there's no direct 12V path back to the battery from there.

I'm also aware that, like others have stated, in a hybrid car the 12V battery only powers up the entry/exit system and boots up the computers to bring the car to the READY state. Once ready, a DC/DC converter takes the 288V traction battery voltage and outputs about 13-14V to charge the small 12V battery, which also means that there's no need to leave the jumper pack on for a few minutes as you maybe would in a conventional car. Unlike a 'normal' starter motor that draws a current of 300A or more, if you look here

you'll see that my meter is showing a draw of just 15.32A to get the hybrid system up and running.

Thanks again folks, Pete

Reply to
Pete Zahut

Is there not another "Hot" access point for clipping onto under the bonnet? Worth checking the user manual before making any alterations.

Reply to
Martin Brown

it doesn't but people do cause them to get low, once below a certain voltage the relays drop out and nothing works.

Reply to
MrCheerful

many cigar lighters are inoperative with the ignition off, and a flat battery means that the protection relays drop out and nothing goes anywhere.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Except that it is usually a PITA to find a way through the bulkhead. In the interest of easy, short runs I think I would tap in to the jump start terminal and have the socket there, and put up with the risk of having to get out and under the bonnet on rare occasions.

Reply to
newshound